Sign in to follow this  
Hergest

Problem with new nTune software

My DFI nF3 250GB died last week. I was using Cool 'n Quiet with OC. Is there a relationship? I know that DFI doesn't recommend it, but I never understood why.

Guest caffeinejunkie
My DFI nF3 250GB died last week. I was using Cool 'n Quiet with OC. Is there a relationship? I know that DFI doesn't recommend it, but I never understood why.

Dfi doesnt recommend cool n' quiet if you are overclocking but I really doubt it killed your board. All CNQ does is clock down your processor and lower your voltage when the cpu is not in use. Apparently their used to be a problem with CNQ that after clocking down it wouldnt properely raise the multiplire and voltage again causing instability. That might be fixed now but thats how it used to be.

Oh and angry I just abuilt a rig for my firend based off the NF4 Infinity and your right about ITE not working. EVrything seems fine except for the cpu temp sensor. I watched it jump from 9c to 59c lol. I'll have to try ntune for temp monitoring on it.

The last time I used ITE was the 64bit version and it shut off my cpu fan completely. im just glad i was sitting here when it happened, now im back to good old mbm5.

ITE Smartguardian is a decent program. I used it for over 6 months without major issue.

If you are into dynamicly adjusted fan speeds however, I recommend SpeedFan. SpeedFan has a larger learning curve and there are many more settings that have to be adjusted before everything will work "just right", but once you have these settings properly adjusted everything will continue to work "just right" for forever.....or until you break it. Being able to set a minimum fan speed is what converted to from SG to SpeedFan.

Edit: Oops didn't realize that this thread was so old. :O

Guest RohypnoL
The problem is with overclocking, just don't do it through ntune or any software-based overclocking utility.

If you ONLY use it for temps/monitoring, then you'd be fine.

Ooooh noes.. I use clockgen all the time. Maybe I should stop now eh?

Guest RohypnoL

Okay, but what is it, exactly, that make these programs able to fudge up your mobo/cpu/ram etc?