Problem with new nTune software

Hergest

I had a working installation of nTune (latest version on DFI website: nTune2002305.zip).

I saw yesterday that there was a new version of nTune on nVidia's site (5.00.04.06). I uninstalled the previous version and rebooted. I then installed this new version successfully, but when I tried to run the monitor, it crashed.

Anyone else seeing this problem? What version of nTune do you recommend?

Also, I see there's a Smart I/O driver on the DFI website (ITE Smart Guardian) - do I need this? What is it for?

Welcome!

When you say nturne carsh, what does it do?

I have nturne's that will open the monitor, but only to a small section for the actual part of the screen (upper right where you see minimize or X).

I reported it to the vendors, but have received no responce yet.

As to "ITE Smart Guardian".

This is a nice little application that monitors fan, voltage and temp readings.

I like it better than say "SpeedFan".

NEVER USE NTUNE ON DFI MOTHERBOARDS FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN TEMP MONITORING.

PERIOD

NEVER

EVER

NEVER USE IT TO ADJUST SETTINGS/OVERCLOCK

YOU WILL KILL YOUR MOTHERBOARD AND MORE THAN LIKELY YOUR CPU AND VIDEO AND POSSIBLY MEMORY

DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM

Sounds like I want to install ITE Smart Guardian instead then!

Luckily I had only opened nTune to monitor temperatures and fanspeeds to check my new build.

I believe nTune is provided on the DFI installation driver disk, and is also on the drivers section of the DFI website for this board. If it's that dangerous, should it be there? Perhaps this warning should be a sticky thread?

I believe it is mentioned in the overclocking guide not to use it.

As for it being included, I still suspect (haven't actually seen a real answer) that DFI is forced to include it with the nf4 chipset. It also is a 'selling point' as other manufacturers have their own 'magic overclocking program' that is also dangerous to use.

Guest Kobalt
NEVER USE NTUNE ON DFI MOTHERBOARDS FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN TEMP MONITORING.

PERIOD

NEVER

EVER

NEVER USE IT TO ADJUST SETTINGS/OVERCLOCK

YOU WILL KILL YOUR MOTHERBOARD AND MORE THAN LIKELY YOUR CPU AND VIDEO AND POSSIBLY MEMORY

DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM

:confused:

I did not know this. Though I didn't try any clock modifying, just ran it to see what it does different.

Doesn't it use the same SMBus as the other programs? Or is this some kind of BIOS conflict ?

:confused:

Guest caffeinejunkie

Yes software clocking is bad

I only use with suicide shots but those dont go over to well here lol

for actual clocking I just use the bios

in the end it will work better :nod:

Luckily I had only opened nTune to monitor temperatures and fanspeeds to check my new build.

I actually use it on the Infinity boards for temp checking because it seems to be more accurate than ITE (and no one at DFI is interested in fixing the Infinity bioses to fix the temps apparently)

using it to check temps is just fine

using it to overclock is a death sentence

I had no problems running nTune 5 -- even used the auto System OC in the "Coarse", "Fine", and "Manual" modes without any issue.

Monitor worked just fine ...

Pharma

that's great for you

however, the next person that comes in here telling us their board died after using Ntune, we'll let YOU handle the RMA and replacement of his hardware.

Sound like a good deal?

Sounds good to me too...so remember that when you see giant red bold letters from me telling someone not to use a program and telling them that it will kill their board, and you decide to tell them that it's not so bad as I made it out to be and all that since it works for you no problem.

I believe nTune is provided on the DFI installation driver disk, and is also on the drivers section of the DFI website for this board. If it's that dangerous, should it be there? Perhaps this warning should be a sticky thread?

why does DFI release a board and get a zillion complaints about this or that, which could be fixed with a couple bios updates...but never gets done?

why does DFI release a board and then hardly ever put the correct F6 raid drivers on the website?

why does DFI have the absolute slowest webserver in the world to where it takes 8 minutes a good bit of the time to download a simple 800k bios flash file?

why does DFI do anything like this after Rgone and I have screamed bloody murder at them about it and it still does no good?

I don't know either...but if you find out, let me know as I will try it on them as we've tried every trick in the book to get them to listen about certain things and they just...don't.

i installed it to use the monitor only but when i run it it went outside the screen... like i can see it on the taskbar and i can minimize etc, but it went right out the screen.. if i select move, the cursor went straight to upper left corner........ stupid program.......