SATA driver Rant!!!

Stupid piece... crap... darnet!!! &%$#!

Why do motherboards need a driver for the SATA controllers. We don't need drivers for IDE controllers, at least not to install an OS with... :confused: Why can't someone, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, put a generic driver in the BIOS or something. Aren't we done with these stupid floppy things yet? The SATA RAID BIOS sees the drive... there should be no need for anything else to help Windows utilize it if the board can see it... IMO. Fat chance of Big Bill adding it to his little program. :P

Sorry, needed to type that... I just got another 80 gig WD to try a RAID. When I set up the RAID and went ot install the OS my floppy drive played dead... :confused: It seems my floppy power cable either messed up and fried my floppy or just the cable itself is bad :( and I can't find the other one that was supposed to come with PSU. No floppy pwr, no floppy; no floppy, no SATA driver; no SATA, driver no RAID; no RAID, no OBLIVION!!! :drool:

Oh, and another question, when will CD/DVD ROMs be SATA?

Love, peace, and grease, :angel:

you need the diskette/floppy because winxp was released before SATA. BUT you

can always slipstream your drivers into an XP Install CD via nlite.

www.nliteos.com.

Ive been useing this program for a year now and I have all RAID / Sata drivers for my

three Boards slipstreamed into my CD and I never had to use a Floppy because they

get loaded automatically during textmode setup.

Were you the guy in the other thread that was going to start a new thread venting? I told you that you don't need any SATA drivers to get your SATA harddrive to be recognized by Windows through the installation. Remember? What are you doing wrong? Oh yeah, shoooooot, if you're running Windows XP without any of the Service Packs then you might be having the issue that you're having, damn. Do you have SP1 or SP2, or do you know how to slip stream SP1 or SP2 onto your Windows CD-ROM?

Steps:

1) Enable SATA Controllers (SATA1+2 or SATA3+4) in Geni Bios, not sure about your SATA3GB controlers, you running SATA1.5 right, so don't worry about the other controllers if they exist on the motherboard.

2) Make sure the Bios recognizes the SATA drive, and disable SATA RAID if you can.

3)You don't need to press the F6 key on the windows installation screen, not needed.

4) ummm.......i can't think of anything else really.....

So talk to me you silly little freak.....

Stupid piece... crap... darnet!!! &%$#!

Why do motherboards need a driver for the SATA controllers. We don't need drivers for IDE controllers, at least not to install an OS with... :confused: Why can't someone, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, put a generic driver in the BIOS or something. Aren't we done with these stupid floppy things yet? The SATA RAID BIOS sees the drive... there should be no need for anything else to help Windows utilize it if the board can see it... IMO. Fat chance of Big Bill adding it to his little program. :P

Sorry, needed to type that... I just got another 80 gig WD to try a RAID. When I set up the RAID and went ot install the OS my floppy drive played dead... :confused: It seems my floppy power cable either messed up and fried my floppy or just the cable itself is bad :( and I can't find the other one that was supposed to come with PSU. No floppy pwr, no floppy; no floppy, no SATA driver; no SATA, driver no RAID; no RAID, no OBLIVION!!! :drool:

Oh, and another question, when will CD/DVD ROMs be SATA?

Love, peace, and grease, :angel:

They are. I've been running two Sata Plextor drives for a year.

you need the diskette/floppy because winxp was released before SATA. BUT you

can always slipstream your drivers into an XP Install CD via nlite.

www.nliteos.com

Thanks, another reason to give Big Bill the finger. Too bad there is no smiley for it. :( I look into that prog, but... you have to get it installed to make a slipstram install right? From here that looks like a catch 22... :confused: Chicken/Egg... But... with no experience with it I can picture a way.

Thanks again. I want to do it the least complicated so I can get back to the Oblivion obsession so I may make this plan B if Mack's suggestion doesn't fly.

Were you the guy in the other thread that was going to start a new thread venting? Steps:

1) Enable SATA Controllers (SATA1+2 or SATA3+4) in Geni Bios, not sure about your SATA3GB controlers, you running SATA1.5 right, so don't worry about the other controllers if they exist on the motherboard.

2) Make sure the Bios recognizes the SATA drive, and disable SATA RAID if you can.

3)You don't need to press the F6 key on the windows installation screen, not needed.

4) ummm.......i can't think of anything else really.....

So talk to me you silly little freak.....

BAH! Yea, that was me, I'm at work and made this before I looked at the old one. I really wasn't looking for help, but thank you, a bunch! :nod: But I just wanted to throw the frustrations I was having last night out there.

I have a MS action pack subscription for MS partners. Kind of a cheap way to keep all my PCs legal. The XP Pro I am installing comes with SP2. I first made the RAID on my NF3 250 board and took it to my gaming NF4 SLi-Dr board. I have turned all the SATA ports on, and set the... non-NF one (settings in Genie) to SATA-RAID... since I was trying to run a RAID 0; when installing windows I just let it ride and it couldn't see anywhere to put OS... I then tried the F6 option and... poor floppy drive... stupid psu cable... :rolleyes:

I will try your steps when I get back to the home front and post my results. :nod:

and I take offence to the "little" statment, I am vertically challenged! :P;)

They are. I've been running two Sata Plextor drives for a year.

Really? Well leave us a link will ya! :shake: How bout floppy SATA, since we still "need" the bastards...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827131351

Plextor 716SA, on sale too.

Note that it has an interchangeable black faceplate, and it's dual layer. It doesn't look like the 712SA that I have, is still being sold.

Check out Newegg, it looks like they have a few new models.

I see there's a few negative reviews lately at Newegg, doesn't mean much to me though. Both drives have performed great and have never given me a problem.

Guest Spartacus

According to the MS Knowledgebase, only a gen-u-ine floppy drive will work for loading disk controller (RAID) drivers doing the F6 thing.

I have been able to use a USB floppy drive to do it, which is nice because I no longer install floppy drives in my systems.

The USB floppy comes in handy for a few other things sometimes too. It's worth having one around. It does not work for a fubared BIOS flash when the boot block tries to read from a floppy drive. Best to have a real floppy drive or another plan for that.

Even when Vista comes out we will likely still need to do something similar to load drivers for future drive controllers that Vista is not aware of. Hopefully by then they will allow CDs to install drivers though. :)

The same problem will probably mean that a Windoze installation cannot be moved to a different controller type by using the old trick of setting the IDE driver to "generic" during the move. Nice work.

Luckily we don't have either of these problems...

No Oblivion, no problem, that's right :)

You can always put your games on a Linux/BSD fileserver and boot your Windoze from a 3 GB IBM drive :)

I tried Linux once... After installation I rebooted and got a weird mounting error and could find any help. I was ignorant to forums then. I may have to give it another try. Guess that would be the best way to give Bill the finger. :nod:

Well, I just got XP in on one of two Raptors I got yesterday. The other one made a real bad ticking noise and I am am now awaiting it's replacment from RMA. This doesn't solve my RAID instalation issue though, but atleast I can play Oblivion... :D but this is only temporary since the other Raptor'll be here in a few days.

Assuming I can get XP on a RAID 0 how would "ya'll" set up a config for a gaming computer? I'll have the two 80 gig WD Caviars`and two 36 gig Raptors. My PSU is not on the "recommended" list, but I have not really had any issues beyond the floppy cable thing. :rolleyes: