Hard Drives

Guest Neezer_merged

Guest Neezer

Well, it has finally come to it. I need to get a new HDD. the one that i have in my sig has 7Gb free. I am capable of SATA I with my mobo, but I will be getting a new rig within a year, so I dont want to spend a lot of money on a drive that wont look good in the new rig. I have been told that I can get a SATA II drive but it just won't be used to its full potential. I was thinking about his one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144701

What do you guys think?

Full Potential? There is not much difference between SATA1.5 compared to SATA3GB. That drive should work just fine. If capacity is what you need then get that, but if it's speed and performance i would settle with a 74GB Raptor. :)

Guest Neezer

right now i have an old slow drive in my comp, and I will probably move everything from it to the new one, and just ditching the old one. how would I go about loading the os onto the new one and then transferring the data from the old to the new?

Would the old one still be good to hold music and stuff like that on it? or will it slow me down?

I'd advice you to reinstall the OS on the new drive to avoid problems.

Aside from that I can recommend the 74GB SATA Raptor from WD, fastest

Drive there is. You can still use your old drive as Storage for your music if

the 74GB isn't enough for you. I myself have a 74gb raptor for my OS and

Programs and a slower 200GB WD JBB for Storage.

Guest Neezer

is it possible for me to load xp onto the raptor, then take xp off of the old 40gb drive, but still leave the music on it?

Guest Kobalt

Hate to break it to you, but a PATA & SATA drive pretty much run about the same speeds.

10K RPM drives are a bit faster, but you would hardly notice the difference in speed, unless you are loading huge datasets. You need to go RAID for a good bump in speed, and having 2 10K drives will be a very nice speed increase.

No need to reinstall windows. Just use the drive's utility CD to COPY the data to the new drive. Then you can do what you want with the old one. It won't slow down your system any, and in fact, it is better to have 2 drives in the system, and use the 2nd drive as windows temp drive and or the paging file.

The drive Neezer chose is a very good one, a little cousin to my WD4000YR. They run very cool and quiet, and is more responsive than other drives I've used, both PATA and SATA, with different capacities and cache sizes. I'd buy another, especially before I got another MAXTOR. ;)

Your WD 250 comes with a 3 year warrantee too :)

The raptors are great if you can afford to lose in the price/performance ratio. I wouldn't usually recommend them as a single drive upgrade for an aging machine though.

Not all users are looking for a 10,000rpm RAID 0 array, when they can get 4x the storage using a normal filesystem and mid range drives. Add what you're comfortable with now and use it as your storage, transfer some files over onto it to free up space on your C drive.

When you get a new machine, install your OS on a new drive and add the 250 after, or back up and reformat. No need to reformat now.

That’s the same HD I got for my new machine, but I am using a 36gb Raptor for the OS and programs. The 250mb HD will be used for storage.

Since you are going to be reinstalling the OS anyway, why not consider a Raptor (size of your choice) and use the 250mb HD for storage, then you can just slip them into your new system when you build it, and you’re ready to rock. Consider it an investment on your new system.

When you get a new machine, install your OS on a new drive and add the 250 after, or back up and reformat. No need to reformat now.

What do you mean ?

I also bought this hard drive (it should be delivered in the week), i don't wanna use another hard drive to install my OS...

btw, does it require s-ata drivers ?

thx.

What do you mean ?

I also bought this hard drive (it should be delivered in the week), i don't wanna use another hard drive to install my OS...

btw, does it require s-ata drivers ?

thx.

I was just saying that he didn't have to reformat. You can if you like, it makes little difference, only that you're deleting any data that you might have stored on there. If the drive is new, you'll have to install an OS to it if you intend to boot from it. ;)

As for sata drivers, I don't remember ever needing these. YMMV.

There are many ways of going about moving to a new system. I find it makes my life easier to be able to slap in my old drive with mp3's and everything else in right after the os is installed, rather than fumble with 50+ badly sorted DVD backups with various levels of surface damage. ;)

This is the logic behind external drives, but I find the $25 case unnesscessary for me..

And after posting here yesterday, I went downtown and put my money where my mouth is.

I grabbed an extra WD2500 (KS or KD, not sure) 16MB sata. I will install it later on today and run some disk benches for ya too when i get a chance... :)

I have lots of work to do today, first on the list is a Circuit Writing Pen! (SLI mod wheeee)

:)

is it possible for me to load xp onto the raptor, then take xp off of the old 40gb drive, but still leave the music on it?

i think what you want you do is load xp onto raptor or watever your new hdd is going to be then transfer all the files on to the new drive. reformat the old then transfer those music files back.

not sure but i don't think you can just uninstall an OS w/o losing the files too. but my way works for sure. it just takes time.