4 LEDs of Death - RMA Time?

So after a year and a half my lanparty decided not to post today. The PC speakers don't even beep.

I opened the case to start trouble shooting and I couldnt I see the 4 LEDs of death. Im gonna see if I can find those posts with recommendations for this situation, but assuming I can't, will I be able to upgrade with my RMA or just get the same type of MB back?

Obviously, I would be willing to pay the difference.

Lo!

I dont think that they will do an RMA upgrade, but talk to the tech support, as they are VERY helpful and without a doubt the best I have ever dealt with.

The solution seems to be the same every time: you get lucky and your board comes back to life, or you get a new board one way or another.

Best of luck, not that it will help much.

Jaz

Did the fans spin-up and all?Power led ect? Did ya' unplug the psu drain the psu by hittin' the on button? Then try a long cmos clear? (pull battery clear cmos 24hrs) No 4leds? No post? ( At this great distance it sounds kinda' like a dead psu.) At any rate that sounds more like board not gettin juice. If you had the 4leds of death. I'd usually suggest you try a stick of pc2100. "Shinobi's trick"Looser memories spd-auto timing's can sometimes snap it loose. (Except it looks like you are already using PC2100) Dead cpu? Anything else would give an error code's in the beeps. If you try it again and it does have 4leds of dead you might be able to get a reflashed bios chip from "Tmod" his sig is here in the bios factory forum. I think I'd try a diffrent psu first I'd think. Then maybe reseat the cpu.(or maybe try a diffrent 1) Then it could be the board too. (Fer-sure that fits into the equation.LOL) But even if the fans do spin up it could still be the PSU. One o' th' rails could be dead. At any rate I'll be back later if I think of anything that might help. 4Led of dead - but no Leds.

Other's will know more, Best o' luck to you. "Clay"

Clay,

I tried everything you suggesed except reseating the cpu, which is what im doing now.

The fans spin, the power led doesnt come on, but the ide led on the drive and the case does respond initially (then goes dead).

The pc speakers dont peep which led me to believe the mb might be really fried, but you pointed out that can also point to a dead cpu. That reminds me that I used to have problems with this arctic silver 5 shorting my cpu if i bumped my HSF. Reseating it would fix it.

I had just turned my computer off to move it when it didnt come back on. I have a good feeling about reseating the cpu.

UPDATE: hmmm same result, i got another cpu i can throw in there...

Lo!

I bought a second board to try gettign my rig to run when my LANPARY went fubar.

It worked for a while, but then went fubar also. I have a feeling it might be that the MoBo may have damaged one of my components and that this is causing problems with other boards. My temp replacement board was the AsRock K7NF2-RAID. I have just got a dirt cheap pc off of E-bay too tide me over till I get this all sorted out.

CONTACT TECH SUPPORT they are about the best people to talk too, and they are being nice enough to send me out a new BIOS chip in the hopes that will sort it out.

Was it the HDD LED that came on for a lil while, or the power, or both, or neither?? Do you have a multimeter to check the rails with?? Might be worth spending the £5 just too see.

Dont spose you want to swap soem of your non-shiney LED's with some of mine that just wont go off?? i'm sure that will help somehow!

BTW, the POST LED's are just too keep us Geeks happy, they dont represent what is actually going on within the board to any notable extent. Geeks + Shiney flashy lights = <3 They, at best, give a VERY GENERAL idea of where things be going wrong. Other than that it is a VERY rough indicator of any difficulties.

E-mail to tech support about The K7NF2-RAID was:

Hello.

After installing the new motherboard the system seemed very unstable. It crashed during the WinXP install, but recovered and finished the installer. I installed the basics (board, graphics and display drivers).

This setup still remained quite unstable, crashing every couple of hours for no obvious reason (the powersupply is stable and the temperatures all low)

On the evening after the install, I returned to the setup to find that it had crashed again. I rebooted and the system was totally un-responsive. The fans spin up and he HDD activity LED comes on and remains lit for around 60sec, then goes out. It makes no attempt to boot, nothing to indicate any further activity atall. Have tried running with minimal components, and (board)underclocked settings. I have also tried re-setting the BIOS. None of my attempts have had any effect atall and the system remains unresponsive. Personally I am of the opinion that the board is broken, as it has had troubles from the moment I installed it.

Please could you suggest anything else I could try, as I have run out of ideas. Alternatly could you organise for my board to be replaced.

I look forward to your reply.

Many thanks for your time.

Richard Jarrett

hey,

well at this point all i really have to go on is the fact that my known good backup cpu wouldnt post in that board either, so im fairly confident its the MB. unfortunately i dont have another mb to test my cpu, i just know that my athlon 1333 mhz cpu didnt post either. tried swapping psus, gpus, dimms, and now cpus.

tech support was very helpful. they are cross shipping for me. you guys were quite helpful too.

as to upgrading the mb, i came off it and i think im gonna hold off on going amd-64 + sli for now. the current system runs too nice. instead i spent 25 bucks (or an additional 20) on overnighting the replacment, and i gave my cc# for a deposit in case i decide to keep the original for a paperweight.

hey,

well at this point all i really have to go on is the fact that my known good backup cpu wouldnt post in that board either, so im fairly confident its the MB. unfortunately i dont have another mb to test my cpu, i just know that my athlon 1333 mhz cpu didnt post either. tried swapping psus, gpus, dimms, and now cpus.

tech support was very helpful. they are cross shipping for me. you guys were quite helpful too.

as to upgrading the mb, i came off it and i think im gonna hold off on going amd-64 + sli for now. the current system runs too nice. instead i spent 25 bucks (or an additional 20) on overnighting the replacment, and i gave my cc# for a deposit in case i decide to keep the original for a paperweight.

Okay as long it werks. LOL I kinda' thought it was the psu. But I don't know everything. Best O' luck on that. Please post back let us know how ya' do.

"Clay"

@Richard Is there some way we could somehow coherse you into making a componite sig? In my old age I've found that my psychic powers and abilities are not what once seemed to be.(If ever they were! LOL)

Have you tried to hot-flash yer' bios?

More@Richard: You might buy a preflashed bios chip from "Tmod" you can find his sig in the bios factory forum here at dfi-street. You'll probably need to get a pllc puller from radio-shack. Be sure you put it in the same way it came out. You could try a stick of pc2100 beforehand that werks sometimes.

You might want to read this before posting again.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21207 Just the "RED" part. I'd hate to loggon w/ an idea that might help ya' and see "banned" under yer' name.

Yup da' lites jus' tell us roughly where the system hangs. It could be a hosed componite causin' the prob. I'd hate to see you go though any more mobo's before figuring which piece is the 1 causin' th' trouble. Some nastier viris's can do that too.

Edit: Will it boot from cd or floppy? Can you get into CMOS? Bad memory sticks can cause some of that trouble you've jus described. Have you tried running memtest from DOS? Bad memory or timings can mess-up an install also.

Edit2: Is that a sata drive?

Odd rambling warning:!From the peanut gallery.Right now myself I just tested some ddr600 in my nf4 and discovered why they won't do 250fsb in my nf2's.(They're jus' bad past 242) Lucky for me mostly that rig only reads text . (I'm really glad my life doesn't depend on it being able to "Toaster" right now.) Got three bad sticks of the stuff two good ones though. I guess if my life really did depend on it I could use the two good ones.LOL

@Darien: Yup it's a corrupt bios. But thats the seconed board he's(Jaz) had that happen to.

He and I are kinda' wonderin' what causin' the trouble. Bad bad device?(HDD?) Er' a really really nasty boot-sector viris .(<---A fair guess I've never seen that happen but I'm sure it can.) Bad memory sticks w/ horrid timings?Bad bios flash? Weak psu? Or jus' plain ol' fashion bad luck? I think the latter fit into the equation somewhere. But that's no help I'm afraid. Sorry Jaz.

Lo!

TVM for the advice y'all, just got a replacement BIOS chip thru, thanks to the lovely guys at DFI Tech support in the Netherlands, Kudos unto you!

Tried it in, and it gave me the exact same thing as every other time.

Totally stripped down running: MoBo, HDD, RAM, GFX, PSU, CPU+cooler and it still didnt do anything. 4LED's from power on, and no change atall. The HDD did spin up, but thats just due to power being applied to it, reet?

On the origional rig before all this nasty ness started:

It was running with 3 SATA HDD's, OS on SATA-1, managed to get it up running briefly with the second board, with one of the 3 HDD's. it was more or less empty at the time of the nasty-ness so just re-formatted it, and installed XP. That went down within a day, not to be heard from again.

Will inform the guys from tech support,

Any other ideas, yell stuff at us would be V lovely!

Jaz_knos

edit, Sorry abotu the lack of Sig, will add one ASAP. Bit pointless IMBO, my rig is about as much use as a plastic hamburger in the data processing stakes