New Comp At The New Job Needs Some Help

bigred

I just got a look at my system the district is letting me have at work :(

Dell

P4 1.4ghz socket 423

128mb rd ram (4 32mb rimms)

20gb 5400 rpm

onboard intel gfx

win ME (first problem... windows 2000 domain servers and ME!!!! this is going to be an issue all over the district)

in contrast to the old system at MS:

Custom built

P4 2.8ht (slightly oc'd... ooops didn't change that back)

512mb ddr

ti 4200 128mb

100gb 7200rpm

windows xp pro

I'm thinking the dell may have to suffer a minor mishap over installing xp on it :)

then comes the total # of systems with windows ME :angry: 1200+ dell's with it are currently dispursed thru out the district... then comes the xp home ones that someone bought trying to save $30 each (500+). the other 2000 of them are either xp pro or 2k pro. sadly ALL the workstations are dells now. I actually MISS the old compaqs the used to have, at least they were standard ATX and could be messed with.

BTW I now have a corner office with a WINDOW :) I haven't got to see the light of day while sitting at me desk in a LONG time now. All the better to keep an eye on the inmates (I mean students) at alterative ed (most are court ordered to school) that we share the board office parking lot with.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately linux has issues with windows domain servers as well (#1 reason I was brought in). it also is designed good enough to not like novell very much either (the network OS that's going bye-bye) thanks to novell's horrible client for linux. so linux is out of the question (though they are running star office all over the place). and no longhorn for these piles of crap. best vid card outside the systems in the cad lab are 16mb tnt2's :( most ram any of them have is 256... longhorn would laugh at you if you tried installing on those things. it's gui is just that much of a hog if it's running full blast :(

First order of business is setting up a regular workstation with win2k adv server, and start porting as much of logins and other odds and ends over. I'm going to have to keep a novell box as a gateway to the domain server until they get all that resolved :( stupid people that ran the district! thank god they're GONE... now i just wish that $10.5 mil was spend on the IT dept instead of replacing the football field (it's like replacing a classic field with a state of the art stadium... it's just not needed!)

Hey, how bout instead of blowing it up with a shotgun you send it to me where i can put it to use in my backup rig? ;)

notice what went in the rest of them recently :) if has an agp slot it's running a 9700 pro or better now. nvidia's last foot hold in my home is going with me this weekend, and possibly a few of it's twin brothers, they'll make a nice project :)

cuz it's scheduled for a shotgun blast this weekend :) I hate that thing!

Too obvious! perhaps .... Oops I spilt some of my 'bawls' all over it (as hissing & crackling/smoke commence), dang I had the case open @ the time... ;)

as hissing & crackling/smoke commence

you'd never hear it over the fans, and the constant heat it generates would lead one to believe it's already up in flames.

wonder why I got 6 more of them in a compusa box o tap returned vid cards... all DEAD so far. I might rma the bad ones and just use this one for fun.