Sign in to follow this  
rdr4g0n

lots of problems with 7900gt but whats the solution!?

ive seen the posts all over the web about problems with gf 7900gt cards ranging from crashes, bsod with nv4_disp.dll mentioned, colored boxes in games, crashing to windows with crazy colored dots and flashing and stuff, etc... but what is the answer? ive been scouring forums and i keep finding people with the same problems but no answers. now im experiencing the exact same thing, and i wanna know what we can do to end this once and for all! *holds up flaming sword* gamers unite!!

seriously though, new powersupply seems like its not really the solution, volt modding isnt a good idea if the card is defective in the first place, i dont think its the drivers...

any ideas?

BSOD with nv4_disp.dll sounds like a driver issue, can you use a diff driver or try the Tweaked one's from Xtreme-G. The other stuff sounds like overheating, but i've never had any issues so far and I have the pathetic stock cooling which doesn't do squat for the memory, yet i'ver OC'D it very high (in Sig).

well mine is stock speeds (which are the oc speeds from evga) the temp right after it crashes is usually around like 50c or so, which i understand is pretty much normal. myself and numerous others have tried many different drivers with the same problems. the bsod is just one of the many crashes and glitches being exhibited by these cards, so it seems much less likely that its a driver issue.

ive seen the posts all over the web about problems with gf 7900gt cards ranging from crashes, bsod with nv4_disp.dll mentioned, colored boxes in games, crashing to windows with crazy colored dots and flashing and stuff, etc... but what is the answer? ive been scouring forums and i keep finding people with the same problems but no answers. now im experiencing the exact same thing, and i wanna know what we can do to end this once and for all! *holds up flaming sword* gamers unite!!

seriously though, new powersupply seems like its not really the solution, volt modding isnt a good idea if the card is defective in the first place, i dont think its the drivers...

any ideas?

By a ATI card! :D

I'd like to remind people that if you aren't going to offer help then don't say anything else..."buy an Ati card" is NOT the solution.

I'd suggest trying to underclock it and see if it helps, be worth trying at least.

Also I know another member that had issues with their card and a new power supply fixed it (apparently). Went from a Powerstream 450 to the GamerXtreme 600. Don't know if that'd hlep, but apparently it has been rumored these cards pull some juice.

I've been dealing with the BSOD (NV4.DISP) for couple of days now. It was working just fine for the first two days, very very odd. Using the 84.21 drivers, but not only do i get that BSOD, but when overclocked higher then default (520/1500) my desktop gets corrupted. I've tried it in two different systems, but with the same drivers though. I'm also using WindowBlind 5.0 in both systems, i just thought i should disable the application just cause. I'll keep you guys updated.

XFX 7900GT UDE7

V1.2 w0406 (520/1500)

A whole lot of this talk is going on in this thread:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=221201

Some have come close to figuring out the problem... but from what it looks like, it is still a really bum situation. No one really coming to an answer other than "RMA"... which imo, sucks because you waste more money each time you send it back, and then are stuck without a card for a week at LEAST.

I have had no troubles with mine, but then I have not touched it (even literally! I handled it with vinyl gloves LOL!). No OC, no mods, etc, all stock. I fear doing anything to it really, because I don't want to have to be without a card for two weeks because of a return.

only reason im here right now is cuz i got bsod with nv4_disp again... i was playhing oblivion!! i want my oblivion! ok im gonna go play some more... hope evga can fix it already lol!

btw i got this psu on recommendation from like everyone on this forum, so im assuming its got plenty of power. im running 3 hdd, 1 dvd, and 1 vid card... it seems like the psu would be ok.

I had the same problem to the tee.

Check these links, 7900 is a bad card imo. Faulty design and rushed to the market.. the consumers are now beta testing..

7900 Lockup Issue Resolved

and

7900 GTX and GT artifact problems - discussion @ nvidia.com forums

Some say that flashing the bios to adjust either the vertex clock or the memory voltage can fix the problem.. however if you are already experienceing the issue the card is toast and do another RMA. This has nothing to do with your board or PSU.. its a faulty design.

I personally had the BFG 7900 GTX and did an RMA to have another one blow.. luckly my retailer allowed me to exchange it for an ATI X1900XTX after I explained these facts to him. I was a big supporter of Nvidia till now.. and they have really made me mad with this release. So far Im very satisfied with the ATI and I think Im gonna stick with it.

GL

I posted that on another thread.

I was having the same problems.. worked great for a week.. then suddenly I would get artifacts in 3D mark and other 3D apps I would run.. colored dots.. flickering lines.. 50/50 chance of the PC crashing.. if it didnt crash my windows desktop would be filled with black boxes and whenever I did any actions the screen would totally black out then come back on. It would be fine after a reboot.

I tried multiple drivers, did a complete format, tweeked my mobo bios, tried 4 diffrent bios versions.. no progress. So I brought it into the retailer and they tested each part. The technician was less then thorough and said it was my CPU. I RMA'd the CPU, a week later I was back in buisness.. dropped in the new chip.. no change.. so then the tech said he'd RMA my mobo.. I was on the SLI-DR and he allowed me to upgrade to the SLI-DR Expert because they were out of stock. After loading the new mobo.. the problem still existed. So I swapped out my ram for a few sticks of value ram just to troubleshoot, and I tried a diffrent PSU too.. no change. I Finally got them to RMA the video card.. and a few days later, surprise surprise.. instability.

This time after talks with BFG tech confirming that they recognize the issues listed in the PC Perspective link and all the millions of posts on the net on the issue my retailler agreed to allow me to swap up for an X1900XTX, Im sure he wanted to kill me at this point since I RMA'd every peice of hardware I purchased. But they treated me well. I dont wanna say go buy an ATI.. but I am gonna say dont get a 7900 series. period. and this is from an Nvidia guy from the past 3 generations.

Once the problem begins its too late to fix it. At that point your board is done. Do an RMA and hope for the best. If your bent on this series of cards maybe pre-emptive action in the videocard BIOS will give you better results.