XFX 7900GT crashing @stock

Okay this is what i got from the XFX Helpdesk.....gay!

[ROBERT - 05/24/2006] Hello Pouya, sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately, it seems that your card is faulty and will need to be replaced. Our replacement policy will have you send in the card for testing. Once it arrives it will enter the testing phase which could last up to three days. If the card is deemed faulty we will send out the replacement. The whole turn around is about two weeks from the day we receive the card. Since you have just purchased this card it is probably best to contact the vendor and find out their turn around time and then just go with the quicker process. Please let us know if you wish to continue with the RMA process with us so we can get things started. Thank you. Best regards, Robert.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay this is what i've heard, i'm sure some know and some don't. There is some kind of voltage protection built-in the bios that causes the card to malfunction (BSOD, Corruption) because of the amount of heat from not sure, either core or memory or even the power regulators that triggers this protection. Now some say you can disable this protection by just reflashing the same bios on your card. now i've tried that just now and no go.

NVFLASH 5.31

Commands that i've used...

NVFLASH --SAVE Original.rom (saving my bios here)

NVFLASH Original.rom (flashing it)

and it said clearing the previous bios and putting a fresh firmware on, but i still haven't seen anything change, damnit. There might be other commands like -5, -4, -3 forcing flashes but i'm doing the same firmware so i don't need to, but not sure at this point. This really sucks. So either your card is overclocked by you or by factory you could see these problems as well. I just can't understand it now. I've looked for the XFX Bios but the only extreme they have is the Rev02, and i have the Rev1.2? When you go into the bios text file it says UDFVGABIOS, i don't know.......

got my computer this week and it runs fine for me just a few hickups with still getting everything setup right had no problems with my XFX 7900GT running at stock havnt had time to o/c, hinda worried since i only have stock cooling apart from 2x120mm fans at the rear and a 120mm fan at the front running Forceware 84.43

I think nvidia set the fan speed on the stock cooler at max. So either you're in 2d or 3d mode it is going to be running 100%, i think. Yeah, i know it's working for you, it was working for me @stock (520/1500) or overclocked @560/830 for two days until it started this crap. I hope it works for you, btw which bios are you running on that XFX card? Can you send me the bios if it's not the 12.03, please?

mack27 i have the same card as you v1.2, the only thing that keeps me from crapping out is keep the voltage regulators cool. i use ramsink on those chips and a fan blowing over those regulators it should help.

sorry dude i have bios version 12.03, will keep a look out for any other BIOS version though. Since my mates are all upgrading atm and two of them are getting XFX 7900GT's i will see what they get.

Okay, thanks. Who said XFX was behind eVGA or BFG in customer support. They called me twice yesterday. This XFX Rep. is so dedicated to his job, i love it! He wants me to try a few things before the RMA process. One thing he had me try before was to up the memory only by 5MHz and see what happens. As usual screen starts to flicker and then windows corruption. The card is bad.....

You can find all that information on the back of the PCB. Just look on the back side of the card and it will tell you the bios, revision, serial number, week number. As far as i know from that website, EE Extreme Edition, XXX is self explanatory, E is for Extreme which is mine, but when you go into the Bios.TXT file it says something like this "UDCVGABIOS" something odd so i'm not going to attempt it. If your video card is failing and having the same problems as mine, don't bother dealing with the troubleshooting and just RMA the card back to XFX. They'll try to talk you into some of their ideas but you are the owner and you make the decision so don't waste your time. Good Luck!

I'll be in the process of the RMA on Monday. This is too much for me... :(

Urg, so many problems around with this card....

...or is that just always the way it seems when somthing new comes out?

Neways, got me a XFX 7900Gt Extreme 520 (UCE7 version) and have had only minimal time to play with it.

So far 1 incident (happend twice) nv4_disp error in oblivion.

I'm wondering if its the card temp that doing it, seems to sun idel at 40c and when running Oblivion about 44c, is this high? I read that it can run as high as 60-70 just fine but...

Eitherway am adding a side fan to try and cool the bugger.

Mack, keep us posted on how the RMA goes!! Just in case I gotta do the same with mine!