Sign in to follow this  
edjahman

Is this possible

I have a 1 year old SLI-DR LP and within the last month or two I decided to go SLI. I bought 1 set of EVGA 7900 GTX cards and also a new PSU, and Enermax 620W Liberty. So, everything was going great for a few days. Great Benchies etc....Gaming... Then one day I fired up fear and it was playing all kinds of weird....major artifacts.....big holes in the world that you could walk into and die....really trippy .....I loaded WoW and the login screen was scrolling sideways and bouncing up and down........So i decided to try 3d mark 06 Sometimes it would just hard lock at the cpu test and that was it or during the flying boat with the dragon, the water would flash green or I would get flashing balls of blue or purple light everywhere.......even more strangeness....then came the end...deep freeze....man deep freeze near the end would turn black on and off in the sky and flash a lot then the whole screen would black out and flash and after it completed you could see your desktop with the score but it would still be flashing, so I had to reboot. I tested one card and it seemed to be ok but the other card was toast. So I rma'ed both of them. I got the second set and they ran for like one of two weeks and then bam...Same .. I tryed flashing the bios on the cards and I tried just about every combination of forceware driver set and graphic driver that I could find...modded and whql....So those two have been sent back....I also rma'ed the Enermax 620 Liberty for a refund. My theory is that the enermax was killing the cards. Someone suggested that my motherboard killing them. How would I know if it was the mobo or the PSU or just bad beta drivers or new bios releases???? So I have two new 7900 gtx'x right now but one is still in the box because I'm waiting for my Pc pOWER AND Cooling 1KW Quad SLI PSU to arrive tommorow. What I dont want to discover is that my DFI LP Nf4 SLI-DR was the culprit in the killing of the previous cards. How to I find out??? How would I test the board? It seems fine to me.

Thank You Guys....This has been a tuffie of a problem...

---EJM

It is unlikely in the extreme that a mainboard kills PCIe video cards.

Since only one of two cards died the most likely cause is that you had a bad card from start.

Is it possible that a mainboard could be killing my 7900 gtx's..Ive had to rma a lot of them multiple times. I was told that is is highly unlikely. I have already ruled out the psu and even the system ram.....I dunno....I know the 7900 gtx's have had major problems anyway.

Thanks Guys.

--EJM

As people stated in your other post on this topic in the Video card section-no it is very unlikly.

No need to double post closing thread.

Have a look around and you'll find a lot of users with OC'd 7900GTX's are finding they're dying and need to be underclocked.

I guess the cores just weren't up to it after all.

You should do all the normal precautions- check volts, monitor video card temps when playing games, make sure that the card is placed correctly etc. Good case airflow is inportant too.

The 7900GTX get just about all of the power directly from the PSU- that or more often just shoddy workmanship with the Video card is usualy the cause of bad cards. As stated might try to simply under clock the next thime. You can only push the edge soo far before you go over.

Might just keep the one that works next time :rolleyes: Did you get another dud?

I had the same problem to the tee.

Check these links, 7900 is a bad card imo. Faulty design and rushed to the market.. the consumers are now beta testing..

7900 Lockup Issue Resolved

and

7900 GTX and GT artifact problems - discussion @ nvidia.com forums

Some say that flashing the bios to adjust either the vertex clock or the memory voltage can fix the problem.. however if you are already experienceing the issue the card is toast and do another RMA. This has nothing to do with your board or PSU.. its a faulty design.

I personally had the BFG 7900 GTX and did an RMA to have another one blow.. luckly my retailer allowed me to exchange it for an ATI X1900XTX after I explained these facts to him. I was a big supporter of Nvidia till now.. and they have really made me mad with this release. So far Im very satisfied with the ATI and I think Im gonna stick with it.

GL

I hate to say it but there is a reason that most of the video cards come underclocked in stock systems and only rarly overclocked to even the speeds advertised unless it is a top end system where they actualy get tested first.