Sign in to follow this  
.zulu

Linux

Hi..

Is there anyone out there that has successfully installed any linux dist on the RDX200 CF-DR board.

On FC5 it hangs on UDEV directly after installation and Ubuntu 6.06 I just can't get the onboard ALC882 soundcard to work.. I went through all the guides and drivers on www.alsa-project.org.. please, need help!

I have gotten linux to work properly with this motherboard. But I have somewhat created my own distro. Im using slax which is a derivative of slackware. You can download slax from here http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php . Slax is a live cd but it is very easy to install if you follow these steps:

#format the harddrive with cfdisk before you run this script please 

#cfdisk /dev/hda

#also change hda to w/e your harddrive device name is such as hdb1 ect

mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1

mkdir /mnt/hda1

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1/

cd /mnt/hda1

cp --preserver -R /{bin,dev,etc,home,lib,opt,root,sbin,usr,var} /mnt/hda1/

mkdir /mnt/hda1/{boot,mnt,proc,sys,tmp}

cp /boot/boot/vmlinux /mnt/hda1/boot/

mount -t proc proc /mnt/hda1/proc/

mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/hda1/dev/

chroot /mnt/hda1/

cd /etc/ 

echo "boot = /dev/hda">lilo.conf

echo "prompt" >> lilo.conf

echo "timeout = 50">> lilo.conf

echo "image = /boot/vmlnuz">>lilo.conf

echo "root =current" >>lilo.conf

echo "label = Linux" >>lilo.conf

echo "read-write" >> lilo.conf

echo "" >>lilo.conf

lilo -v

Also If you want to customize slax to your liking you can download this program called "My Slax Creator" from this site.. It will allow you to add and remove programs to the live cd. You can download My Slax Creator from here http://myslax.bonsonno.org/download.php "

If this doesnt work to well for you then you might want to try out Arch linux at http://archlinux.org/ . The reason why fedora and unbuntu dont work very well on newer hardware is because they simply didnt generalize the kernel enough when the compiled it. Slax is best at the fact that its kernel is very basic and general and can almost any hardware that is based the x86 architechture.. if your lookin for 64 bit then you might want to try out archlinux or gentoo.

I havent had any luck with trying to install suse 10 or gentoo on this mobo.

On suse 10, I can get the initial setup screen to select to special install options such as enabling or disabling aspi or using a gui install or text installer. But after trying any option I get a black screen.

On gentoo, I can't even get single prompt screen.

I havent been able to determine if it is the chipset or my gfx card making this difficulty.

But just for fun I took an onld machine and installed copy of suse on a 120GB HDD and I am gonna stick that into my rig and see how linux will handle.

I was actually able to get the suse 9.3 live cd to work (however it was in 256 color mode =/). But what is interesting the live cd for suse 10 does not work at all, maybe the cd has an error on it. But in any case it is fustrating, but I like to tinker and will not give up on it completely :nod:

Welcome zulu...

MetaMaverick

" Try downloading a copy of Knoppix 4.0 (It is generally agreed that Knoppix has the best hardware detection of any distro) from http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html (its a live CD) and running it as a live CD on your system.. if you can get it to boot at all, you can issue the command 'lspci' from a shell prompt and you will receive a list of hardware that the Linux Kernel for that OS recognizes.. from that list , you can see which pieces of hardware are recognized and which are not (and those are probably the ones which are giving you trouble)" :nod:

Hi there!

I've been dualbooting Win XP SP2 and Ubuntu 5.10 for a while now..

Couldn't get the GUI to start at first.. but then I installed ATIs latest Linux drivers and that fixed the problem for me :)

The second problem I have is the onboard soundcard, haven't got it working yet.

-Toby

Welcome zulu...

MetaMaverick

" Try downloading a copy of Knoppix 4.0 (It is generally agreed that Knoppix has the best hardware detection of any distro) from http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html (its a live CD) and running it as a live CD on your system.. if you can get it to boot at all, you can issue the command 'lspci' from a shell prompt and you will receive a list of hardware that the Linux Kernel for that OS recognizes.. from that list , you can see which pieces of hardware are recognized and which are not (and those are probably the ones which are giving you trouble)" :nod:

Thanks for the suggestion and I may try it if I am bored to confirm my current results. But I have already done that with suse 9.3 live cd. When I did lspci I know it showed the northbridge as an "unknown" vendor and I cant remember if it showed the graphics card or not. Which I guess what you were hinting is that the kernel that that distro is using doesnt support it. I cant remember what version it was but I can say for sure that the new version, SuSE 10 has a kernel that is more than a year old. I have no idea why they use such old versions. :confused:

So my next question, does anyone know if a newer linux kernel has support for the rdx200 northbridge?