Sign in to follow this  
david23

Modular power supply?

All right everyone here may think im stupid but IM new to Dfi and im new to the overclocking world I am going to buy the dfi expert to oc My opteron 165 The only problem is i dont know what psu to buy I was wondering if anyone had a listing of compatable psus I have an accrylic case and was looking at the ultra 550 watt uv psu I was wondering is this compatable. im looking for performance and airflow And modular power supplies help with the airflow but what about performance? I know that Uv psu's dont usually add up yo non uv power supplies but it would help my rig look awsome. But I am more conmcerned about performance so looks dont really matter If any one had some input i would love to hear it thx here is a link of the psu i was looking at

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_detai...7&productID=420

or

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_detai...3&productID=387

or any other suggestions?

thx

-David23

Welcome to the club. Just a couple of things you should do before posting on this site. Make sure to read the rules...you need to put your specs in your sig. Also read the section on doing a search. I dont mean to come off harsh...just trying to save you the wrath of "Angry". Check out this link for the recommended power supplies. Hope that helps. Again...welcome :nod:

Recommended PSU's

alright modifications to profile will be added hey thnks for the suggestions anyone else?

I just came over to the Expert and installed mine last night.

Using an Ultra X Connect x2 550w and it does look very nice in my rig.

No power issues to speak of and the modular cabling is great.

I love a clean case and my water cooling really stands out without the "Cable Clutter" :nod:

If you check out that Recommended PSU's link, there are lots to choose from.

The most popular supply is the OCZ Powerstream 520W. The newer GameXstream (600W and 700W) is quickly living up to the Powerstreams reputation, with the omission of adjustable pots.

PC Power and Cooling, Fortron Source (FSP), Zippy, Seasonic. These are the highest quality.

Anything else is trying to imitate or live up to the standard set by these companies.

I just picked up one of the Ultra X2 UV PSU's and it looks pretty cool. My Thermaltake 680W kicks its butt and runs much cooler and is more efficient, but I couldnt help trying the Ultra out. It was less than $100.00 and I just wanted to see if all the reviews about it were true. So far so good. For the money...its not bad. Lots of bling and the Flex cables are very easy to hide. Seems to run very stable and within spec. Hooked up 7800SLI, 5 fans, 2 optical drives, 1 floppy, 2 harddrives and water cooling. Handled it fine. The lifetime warranty is also a nice plus. Would I recommend it? If you are on a budget and looking for a Modular PSU with high bling factor...go for it. If you have a higher budget go with something from OCZ, Enermax, Thermaltake , etc. The ultra is solid, but a little dated technology wise. Most new PSU's are 80+% efficient and use active or passive PFC. This is only rated at about 70% under load and has no PFC. Hope that helps. :D

Some are against modular power supplies because they add resistance but who really knows if there will be a noticable difference. Modular connectors are nice so you dont have cables all over the place. More and more PS manufacturers are using it. This is what they say about it....who knows?

"Due to their look, convenience, and cost savings for manufacturers, modular plugs have become a popular power supply feature. Unfortunately, there has been little or no discussion of the impact of this feature on overall performance and reliability. The fact is, modular plugs limit power by adding to electrical resistance. The voltage drop can be as much as would occur in 2 feet of standard wire. Worse yet, modular plugs utilize delicate pins that can easily loosen, corrode, and burn, creating the potential for a major system failure. That's why pros specify uninterrupted wire!"

I have used the OCZ 520W ModStream for couple of months now in my rig (Opteron 165 @2.6GHz X1900XT (Modded XTX) and its been running just fine. Now the Modstream is in my lil' bro's computer running 3200+ @2.6GHz 7900GT @561/1837 stable stable stable! Get yourself an OCZ 520W Modstream dude, you won't be any happier...

Monarch Price not bad....

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...ory_Code=ps-ocz

Newegg price very good (w/rebate)....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817104155

Def get a modstream from OCZ, good stuff. Otherwise you could get a SilverStone SST-ST60F. It is a 600watt modular and uses the same guts as the 650watt Zeus by SilverStone. The Enermax Liberty 620watt is a good modular supply too. You could also look at the new Mushkin 650watt supply. I don't think anyone has really had much experiance with it, but it is modular and powerful; it is rated to be used with a crossfire system, and those are very very very power hungry, demanding in excess of 400watt's when loaded! It is also a quad rail supply with some of the highest rated rails I have seen for a PSU in its class, they are at 20 amps each. Plus Mushinks have a thing called fusion rail, when they are heavily loaded they auto-combine the rails into one HIGH amp one, ie in a heavy loaded crossfire situation.

I have heard mixed reviews about Ultra PSU's, so like them and others don't. Personally I would just avoid them and get a OCZ or other. If though you decide you don't need modular, which I would say is a good choice; get a OCZ GameXStream, PC Power & Cooling, SilverStone, or Fortron. Modualer has a bit of a resistance thing, it is not huge but it is there, that is why PSU's like the SilverStone one are rated for 600watt, when the guts are from a supply rated for 650watts with I believe a 700watt peak. The big problem though with modular is that it is just another point of failuar. One of the plugs could come lose or fall out if not properlly seated, or if it is jared really hard. If a plug falls out something may not work, but if one just comes lose, you could cause major system damage.

Modular is a good idea, and when don't right can be a dream. Just make sure everything is seated good and that nothing runs the risk of comeing lose, mainly on the lines that feed power to the motherboard if they are modular, like on the SilverStone.

Sign in to follow this