Sign in to follow this  
ozvenusguy

pioneer dvd-r problem burning/reading

im having an issue with a pioneer dvr-a10xlc super multi drive on this motherboard.

the biggest issue is that the fault seems to be intermittent.

the fault is that sometimes, the burner won't burn dvd's but will burn cd's

at other times when it happens, the player will spin a disc up (dvd or cd) but won't be able to see any data on it at all.

this happens both with original bought dvd movies,original game dvd's as well as burnt data disks.

i have returned it to the store i bought it from, but they tested it and say there is no problem at all with the drive, but i know it doesnt happen all the time.

what exactly are my options here?, since they wont return it to pioneer or give me a replacement as by their testing it is fine.

i have also tested the cable by trying another 2 cd burners on the same cable, and they both work all the time (i dont have another dvd burner to test with)

the problem is strange to me, and i thought that someone else here might have hit this snag before.

any help appreciated. ;)

I dont think thats a motherboard issue. I would think it might be a firmware issue with the DVD burner itself. Check the website for an updated Firmware.

well, i've had the drive since xmas last year, and had zero problems with it on my old rig (asus mobo), it's only started doing it since i got this new rig (sig rig), but i was hoping it was just coincidence. ;)

the advice i'm after (since the problem is so snaky to nail down), is what can i do now?

do i phone pioneer and tell them i think its faulty but the shop says its ok? (i dont trust the guys i bought it from one iota)

i've not been stuck in this position before heh....

although a fix would be a godsend at this point so i dont have to deal with any more salesman crap ;)

I'll check out the firmware for sure, thanks for the suggestion!

I've had a similar issue. I'm not certain, but it seemed to be related to having a CD in the drive during boot. If I didn't have a CD in the drive everything was fine.

It also seemed that it only happened when the CDRom was in the boot order before my HDD. I destroyed a cable I believed to be faulty out of frustration before the problem had occured a second time.

You wouldn't happen to have nVidia's nForce 4 IDE SW driver installed would you?

i have tried it both with and without the nvidia ide sw driver.

i honestly think it is an intermittent hardware fault on the pioneer burner, i'm going to try updating the firmware, and if that doesnt fix it, im going to talk to pioneer.

just btw...

i posted about a side effect of NOT having the ide sw driver installed in another post, the side effect being that my sata drive wont play back divx without the audio stuttering every 5 to 10 seconds, copying the file to another ide drive, plays fine.

The sata drive is plugged into the sata port 1 on the mobo.

would there be any reason for this?

has anyone else come across more issues WITHOUT the ide sw driver than with it?