Sign in to follow this  
Raeth

Building a comp, need advice

Hey all,

I'm really unsure of myself with this whole thing, because I've never built a computer from scratch before, so any advice would be really appreciated.

The specifications for the computer I want to build are in my sig. If anyone has any suggestions or comments on that, great.

Otherwise, I'm looking for a decent case and I'm wondering if there's anything else that I'm missing to build this thing.

I think there are some extra cables I need to get, and perhaps some extra cooling devices, but I don't know what or where to look for them.

Also, I'm on a budget. I know there are a lot of really amazing cases out there, and I would love to have them, but I was hoping to spend about 1400-1500 on this system (excluding mouse, keyboard, speakers, moniter, etc), and as the parts I chose already come close to that, I'd prefer a cheaper case.

I thought about getting one of the Coolermaster Centurion Cases, because they are affordable, simple-looking, and supposedly have good air-flow, but I'm afraid they might be too tight or flimsy for the type of system I'm putting together. I was leaning towards getting the Coolermaster Silver Centurion 534 or the The Black Centurion 5 , but again, I'm worried about everything fitting in right, and achieving good air flow with so much stuff inside.

Of the things I'm getting, the Harddrive, DVD Burner, DVD player, and Floppy Drive are OEM. Everything else is retail. I've picked up the cables for the things I just listed, but is there anything else you guys might suggest I pick up as well?

Anything I might want to upgrade/downgrade?

Oh yeah, and as a last note, in case it affects anything, I was considering giving overclocking a shot on this system. I've never really played around with overclocking before, so I'm kind of wary about jumping into it, but I thought it was worth a mention.

Thanks

Raeth

Hey all,

I'm really unsure of myself with this whole thing, because I've never built a computer from scratch before, so any advice would be really appreciated.

The specifications for the computer I want to build are in my sig. If anyone has any suggestions or comments on that, great.

Otherwise, I'm looking for a decent case and I'm wondering if there's anything else that I'm missing to build this thing.

I think there are some extra cables I need to get, and perhaps some extra cooling devices, but I don't know what or where to look for them.

Also, I'm on a budget. I know there are a lot of really amazing cases out there, and I would love to have them, but I was hoping to spend about 1400-1500 on this system (excluding mouse, keyboard, speakers, moniter, etc), and as the parts I chose already come close to that, I'd prefer a cheaper case.

I thought about getting one of the Coolermaster Centurion Cases, because they are affordable, simple-looking, and supposedly have good air-flow, but I'm afraid they might be too tight or flimsy for the type of system I'm putting together. I was leaning towards getting the Coolermaster Silver Centurion 534 or the The Black Centurion 5 , but again, I'm worried about everything fitting in right, and achieving good air flow with so much stuff inside.

Of the things I'm getting, the Harddrive, DVD Burner, DVD player, and Floppy Drive are OEM. Everything else is retail. I've picked up the cables for the things I just listed, but is there anything else you guys might suggest I pick up as well?

Anything I might want to upgrade/downgrade?

Oh yeah, and as a last note, in case it affects anything, I was considering giving overclocking a shot on this system. I've never really played around with overclocking before, so I'm kind of wary about jumping into it, but I thought it was worth a mention.

Thanks

Raeth

the reviews on newegg for the bfg 7900gt's show a lot of people who received cards with broken capacitors, maybe try evga or xfx?

if no plans to go sli in future, you may want to get the n4 ultra-d, it can be modded to sli if needed to

Looks good, pretty much though what the above (iamkoza) said, consider a ultra-D if you don't plan on going SLI, and there has been alot circulating about BFG ariving, retail packaged, with broked caps. Besides that hmmmm.... you mentioned overclocking, so air flow is your friend. If you hope to get a "high" OC out of your chip you might want to consider a non-stock cooler (Thermalright and Zalman are the two popular air coolers around here, but I love my Acrtic Cooling Freezer). If you really plan on OCing then wait a little, maybe build the rig and wait a little, then get some water cooling, it can't be beat...well aside from TEC/Phase. I can't really help you much on the case aside from say Lian Li. They are more expensive (though the PC-60's and PC-7's aren't too bad) they are beautiful, strong, light, and fairlly roomy. Or look at Thermaltake, I like the Armor and the Armor Junior... the Armor is huge and the Junior is roomy yet not too big. Compaired to your other two case choices they are more expensive (in the $100 - $150 range) but well worth it if you have the cash at all.

Also read the OCing guide http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28049 listen to what people say ( especially people that have lots of experiance / people like Angry and RGone (admins), they know what they are doing), don't be scared to ask if you don't know, and have fun.

Besides that it looks like a good build. Make sure you have the lates drivers and what not available, just in case. Lots of people talk about a bios flash, don't worry about that untill you get everything going and get your OS loaded, etc..., even then only do it if you have too (ie.. some boards need it for dual core support). If you have to do that then search the fourms and read / ask, it can be tricky and you can damage or kill your board. Make sure you don't scrap the thermal paste off of the heatsink if you use the stock one, I did this, lol! But I replaced it with AS5, which was nice, untill I got my AC Freezer. If you are looking for good deals on cables, coolers for cpu's, GFX cards, chipsets, etc... then head over to SVC.com.

Anyways like I said, looks good, have fun!

Is that ram in a kit? You may want to consider PC-4000 ram if you are going to overclock.

Also you may want to look in to RAID-0, it is cheap to do and fast. Angry has a guide on RAID-0

and it is not that hard.

EVGA video card (best warranty and reliability) and 600w OCZ GamerXStream for $10 more (it's newer, more powerful, and quieter)

Are you planning to overclock?

Hey all,

Thank you for all the great responses!

I've decided to go with advice and switch brands for my video card - I chose the XFX Geforce 7900GT Extreme (520mhz) 256mb due to good reviews, a cheaper price, and a rebate. To go with that, I chose an Arctic Cooling Accelero X1 Fluid Dynamic Bearing VGA Cooling fan with heatsink.

At first, I wanted to get the SLI version of the motherboard in case I wanted to switch to SLI in the future, but after further thought, I decided I probably wouldn't any time soon, so the DFI LanParty Ultra it is.

I upgraded to the 600W OCZ GamerXStream like UncleDavid reccomended, and I decided to go with a Lian-Li PC-7B Plus case. It's one of their cheaper cases, but the reviews report good airflow and space. There were mixed reviews for the fans though, so I got two SilverStone FN121 120mm Case Fans to replace the ones that come with it.

To 225Slant6 -- I thought about getting the PC-4000, but I wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make, so I figured 3200 would be fine. But yeah, it probably is best to get 4000 if I'm overclocking. Right now, I'm looking at both the OCZ Platinum and OCZ Gold GX editions. Do you think the Platinum has enough of a performance difference to be worth the extra $$?

Also, I've been thinking about getting RAID for some time, and while it's not much more to get two HDs, isn't the RAID controller about $100-300? While a slight boost for the extra harddrive isn't bad, the extra few hundred when you include the controller might be a bit much.

My last question is about the video cards -- I was looking at two different ones - the EVGA Superclocked 7900 GT KO that some people were recommending, which comes clocked at 580mhz, and supposedly has a good cooler in it....and the one I chose (The XFX 7900GT Extreme, clocked at 520mhz). The one I chose is cheaper, with a rebate, but I have to buy the cooler, and it's not clocked as high as the EVGA version. I'm not sure which is the better option. Any advice?

Thanks.

Raeth

Have you seen the Thermal Take Soprano cases, I bought one and I'm really impressed, 3 case fans, 430W power supply, they have up to 560W. Take a look.

You might want to look at the antec cheftec chemming cases if you are on a budget very sturdy and good cooling and cheap. Looks like those cases you mentiod might be on the same steel frame. Best feature is many have a swing out door and tons of room. They also usualy come with decent fans at least the antec and Cheming ones.

53USD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811125480

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/plusview2.html

The rest is fine I also would only get a regular Ultra D but that is your choice SLI is best all done at once and this systems is going to be far beond most already, you can always upgrade the card later wehen the next model comes out.

Most of us old school people like to have the faster memory just to make us feel good even though a divider really hurt performance- though it does make things a little less complex. Just make sure you get compatable memory what is the price diffrence?

The Raid controller is in the MB and you would need to spend big bucks to get a better card for raid. Just buy two identical hard drives.

Read though the how toos and the getting up and running post in my sig save you a lot of headache later.

Okay, I think I'm about to order the pieces.

I am updating my sig with the new specs, but I'm going to wait a few hours before ordering in case I realize/someone tells me there is something major I should update or change.

I've decided to go with two Samsung Spinpoint 160gb 3.0gb/s HDs for Raid 0

and unless anyone strongly reccomends platinum as a huge advantage over Gold, I'm getting OCZ Gold GX 2GB (1X1GB) PC-4000 Ram.

THose are the only new updates.

Everything is listed in my sig.

Tell me now, if there's anything major I should update or change!

Thanks again for all the great help!

Raeth

Looks great! I wouldn't change a single thing.

However, if you are going to be overclocking, you could pickup an Opteron 165. Opterons (as you may or may not know) are hand picked Athlon 64/X2 CPUs that tend to overclock better and have more L2 cache. Other than the name they are essentially the same thing. A lot of people around here, as you will see, choose Opterons for overclocking. The Opterons also come with a GREAT stock HSF. It has heat pipes and the whole works...

Sign in to follow this