60*c

broooooooce

This is something I really want to get into. I've got my system overclocked to 184 x 12.5 = ~2303mhz (2.5-3-3-6, 1.75vcore, 2.8 dram v) and my video card is at about 400/355 (up from 378/337). I've got heat problems. I'm about to upgrade my ram to PC3200 and when I do, I'm going to clock it up some more, but the heat problems aren't going to let me I don't think.

hangerfan1.JPG

So I have all these d*amned fans. The two on the bottom are ziptied together and mounted on my home-made bent up hanger stand.

I have a 120mm up front, 4 80s in back, the zalman on the chip, the built in one on the Radeon 9800, and 2 in the psu--You'd think it would be really loud, but it's not. All of the fans an stuff are built for silence. Don't get me wrong though, it is audible. 290 said to me the other day "fast, quiet, cool--pick two." And that really does seem to be the case.

Idle, my temp hovers around 50*C, under a full load after an hour, I stay at 59-60*C. Unless I were to just give up and put one of those 6000 RPM monster ear torturing volcano fans, or aero turbine things on my chip, I think this is the best I can do without watercooling. Any advise?

Any resources around here that could be compared to like a Watercooling 101? I'm a total n00b when it comes to that and really would just like some stuff to read.

Bruce

PS: Is there some aftermarket thing that I could use to keep my AIW Radeon 9800 Pro a little cooler?

Edited by caxis0

dude that temp cant be right....what program are you using to measure? mbm5 ?

my cpu is at about 38 load......maybe you have the hs on wrong....*shrug* and im sure your using as3 or ceramique right?

Yeah, AS3. And I use MBM5 to measure. Right now, 51* diode, 42* socket, and 30* case. I think they may be right.

I played with fans in different positions to see what got me better results, which is how the hanger mounted fan "solution" came into play. That bought me about 2 degrees. The heatsink is on correctly, and I didn't use much AS3... maybe I should remount it and see though?

Thanks for the help.

Bruce

[edit: what kind of hsf are you using? My Zalman is good, but it runs quiet and slow. like 2350 RPM when it's maxed out--which of course it is. I really like the fan (it just looks soooo cool, and its freakin imense!), but it may be the weak link in my set up? ]

Edited by caxis0

If I were to just try remounting the Zalman, what should I use to clean off the existing AS3? Are there any special steps I should take with the chip? This HS had a MIRROR finish when I got it and I just don't know if it'd go back on as nicely.

hey man volcano 9 .. and its not case fans...i only have two exaust fans right now...so not much air flow and still have decent temps......like caxis said..try reseating that thing.....it is a nice hsf....it should have low temps

The Zalman from what I read is a dang good fan.. but not an OCing fan..

I would upgrade ur heatsink before I went and spent all the cash on wate rcooling..

if u like big sinks try the SLK-900 or the new one 947 I think it is..

SVC.com has the 900a on sale for like 25 bucks or something right now

and the 947 is on sale for 31 or 41

I cant remmebr..

here are the links..

The 947!

http://postsnet.com/r.html?c=242135&r=2416...o.html&g=0&f=-1

and the 900a

http://postsnet.com/r.html?c=242135&r=2416...l.html&g=0&f=-1

Ok, I'm not making a vacuum. I reversed the clear fans directions, and much to my dissapointment, observed no change in temperature at ALL!

*sigh*

I want to watercool just because I think it would be fun, but having looked over a few different kits and parts, I think that would involve an entirely new case and everything. My case has the extra 3 1/2" slots for a buncha hard drives (which, in all honesty, I need) so without a hacksaw or a new case (both of which I am somewhat opposed to), it'd prolly just be best for me to try the heatsink you suggested, the 900A.

I've been reading reviews on it and everyone likes to use it with these 58db tornadovolcano whatevers. I sleep in the same room as my computer and this is absolutely not acceptable.

What quiet 92mm fans out there would do a good job for me, or maybe just one that has a potentiometer... I dunno. Thats why I was considering water cooling, I want fast, quiet, AND cool!! Can't always get what I want (can't ever seem to get what I want ;) ) I guess I can water cool my next system. I'm gonna be prowling around on the net looking, but if anyone has a suggestion for a quiet/fast 92mm fan to put on top of that thing, please pass it on to me

And thanks, everyone, for your help these last few days.

Bruce

it's not all about those clear fans. it could be total air flow. if theres less air going in than going out you could have a problem like this. the other thing you could have is positive air pres. if you're bringing in more air than is leaving the case you could have a similar problem