Volcano 7 Question

ClayMeow

hey guys. i haven't been on the boards for a week because i've been sick :(

But i'm back now! ya miss me? ;)

anyways, as some may remember, i recently purchased a a7n8x (nondeluxe) mobo and a 1.6ghz duron. I got the Thermaltake Volcano7 heatsink for it. I haven't installed anything yet...my question is this: On the bottom of the heatsink is a "sticker" covering the copper inset. Is there thermal compound of some sort on it? You know how on the stock AMD heatsinks there's some type of compound already on it? (that you have to scrape off if you're using other compound). Or is it just on there to keep the surface clean? Since i'm not ready to put it together, i haven't taken off the sticker to check. But if there IS this compound, will that be enough for the duron? I don't have any artic silver left, so my alternative is using the thermal paste that came with the heatsink i got 6 months ago (i had artic silver at the time, so i didn't need it).

I won't be doing any overclocking to it at first, so i don't really care if the thermal paste isn't that great. I'm gonna see what my temps are before deciding whether to tweak it a little. it's not for me anyways.

No, there is not...the sticker is simple to protect the surface from scratches... you need to provide thermal material...

AS Ceramique appears to be the cream(pardon the pun) of the crop

and

But i'm back now! ya miss me?

desperately... I have simply run out of tears from crying for a whole week.

Now I am crying tears of hapiness that you are back! :P

glad you are feeling better

No, there is not...the sticker is simple to protect the surface from scratches... you need to provide thermal material...

AS Ceramique appears to be the cream(pardon the pun) of the crop

and

desperately... I have simply run out of tears from crying for a whole week.

Now I am crying tears of hapiness that you are back! :P

glad you are feeling better

LOL. thanks for the info...and thanks for the well wishes :) I don't even know what i had...i had different symptons every day, it was weird. One day i was just congested, another it felt like i had strept throat my throat was killing me, the next day my throat was fine but i felt dizzy and nauseous, another day i had a huge headache....it was odd....and throughout it all, i never had a fever.

Anyways, thanks for the help. I'll just use the crap thermal paste i have lying around. It should suffice for just a duron.