TT Big Typhoon setup

I have a TT Big Typhoon and it's great! Except for the mounting part, that is. I hate that part of it. I saw the metal back plate and even with the protective pad I didn't trust it. The instructions say to put the sponge on the MB, then the mylar sheet on the sponge, then the metal plate on the mylar. (Backplate installation.) It's labled as (LGA775/P4/K7) but I believe that it is implied to do it for all back plates. I agree that it's not very clear in that regard.

I reused my DFI backplate... but had to go buy longer screws to make that work. Needless to say, it's a bear tightening the screws unless you have a right angle screwdriver! (I wanted to buy cap screws and use a hex key, but no luck.) With a thickness of only 1/16" the metal plate bends under the pressure... they should have made it a bit thicker, IMHO.

So what's the hacksaw trick? I didn't see a need to cut anything when I installed mine.

Mark

I have a TT Big Typhoon and it's great! Except for the mounting part, that is. I hate that part of it. I saw the metal back plate and even with the protective pad I didn't trust it. The instructions say to put the sponge on the MB, then the mylar sheet on the sponge, then the metal plate on the mylar. (Backplate installation.) It's labled as (LGA775/P4/K7) but I believe that it is implied to do it for all back plates. I agree that it's not very clear in that regard.

I reused my DFI backplate... but had to go buy longer screws to make that work. Needless to say, it's a bear tightening the screws unless you have a right angle screwdriver! (I wanted to buy cap screws and use a hex key, but no luck.) With a thickness of only 1/16" the metal plate bends under the pressure... they should have made it a bit thicker, IMHO.

So what's the hacksaw trick? I didn't see a need to cut anything when I installed mine.

Mark

Myself I also used longer screews but used the nuts to hold the screews tight and used wingnuts on the braket makes it real simple to tighten up. I also cut that funky top rizer off so the hold down braket set flush with the cooler. thats a kinda messed up way to make one cooler fit alot of apps

• 2 months later...

well if you got room to put them little butt screws on and tight well guess not. Man taking the board out is all the fun. because you find better and cleaner ways to re clean your install

Not when you have to take it out like four times to put the damn heatsink on it :P. It's so big it was blocking my FDD cage so I had to remove the board just to insert my Raptor. At least everything seems to be working okay.