Which CPU HSF to buy???

I've recently stated playing Oblivion and after about 5 minutes of play my computer is louder than than my vacuum sweeper.....really. I don't really have a heat issue but would like things to be quieter and cooler than the stock hsf I'm using. I'm wondering which HSF's would be highest recomended for my DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D motherboard and should I spend the extra money for the arctic thermal paste or just use the paste that comes with hsf package? I remember reading that some 939 hsf's won't fit this mobo and I don't have the big $$$ for a water cooling unit. Which should I buy?

You should buy Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique thermal paste, much better than the supplied stuff (usually, sometimes it comes with the heatsink deending on brand.)

I recommend the Zalman 7700Cu - and I know it fits too.

Are you sure it’s your cpu fan and not your chipset fan? I’m using the stock cpu fan on my AMD x2 3800+, and I can’t hear it at all, even with the case open. Any sound the cpu fan makes is drowned out by the chipset fan. I’ve put my ear within an inch or so of the cpu fan, and all I can hear is a very quiet whisper.

Yes there is. See this sticky. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50819 It’s at the top of this forum.

It’s the Evercool VC-RE chipset replacement coolers, and here is a direct link to purchase one.

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?svcom...aFb+vc-re.html+

The stock chipset fans are well known for failing, and it sounds like yours might be failing. There is a ton of info here at DFI-Street on this problem.

If you aren’t really sure which fan is making the noise, you can always roll up some paper, put one end over your ear, and the other end as close to each fan as you can get them, and that should help to isolate which fan is making the noise.

sounds like you're going for silence and performance, i wouldn't recommend an older heatsink like a CNPS7000/7700 (i used to own both) simply because for the money you can buy something that cools better -with heatpipes. you can do a search for these on SVC or xoxide or somewhere like that -most of them use 120mm fans for maximum airflow / minimum noise. these are the top 3 imo but you might need to check to see if they're compatibe with your mobo:

Scythe Ninja

Thermalright SI-120 / XP-90

Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120

if you're on a budget you might wanna check out the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro -you can sometimes find it on sale for about $20 and it seriously kicks butt for the money. uses a 92mm fan