WC the Chipset?

I'm getting 49°C CPU / 36°C Chipset under load -

39°C / 33°C at idle

also

GPU: 54.0°C GPU environment: 46.0°C under load

GPU: 35.1°C GPU environment: 36.0°C idle

All three items are liquid-cooled.

The full-load figures come around four hours into a very intense flight-sim.

I'm sorry, but my motto is "Why Pi when you can fly?" :)

The Vantec Stingray ain't the greatest, but I'm very happy with the steadiness of the temps, the quietness, and the lack of internal dust and fluff bunnies. I have a slow 92mm fan pulling from low front atm - so theres movement inside. And I may need to force-cool the RAM at some point, but so far, so good!

Actually, the kit also contains a Southbridge block. I wonder if I could use it as a heatsink for some kind of RAM cooler? Something to sleep on!

I would never go back to air-cooling.

Cheers,

Brando

i don't have an high end watercooling either, just the cheapest complete set you can buy :rolleyes:

but by moving the radiator out of my case i got good, not great temps.

ambient temp is: 21.6 C

cpu idle temp is : 28.0 C (ite smart reading) im feeding the venice core 1.62 volts

pwm ic temp is : 33.0 C (ldt bus at 1.3 volts) im cooling it with an 80 mm fan monted to the waterblock

chipset temp is : 47.0 C (chipset voltage 1.6 volts) fan @4700 rpm stock fan

cpu full load : temp is 39.0 C (cpu at 2650 mhz with 1.62 vcore)

- so i think it'll be safe to add an chipset waterblock seeing as my other temps are relative low and the cihpset stands out as the area with the highest temps (and the highest noise)

As long as you have the surface area to dissipate the added heat dump there's no reason not to WC your chipset. I've yet to see a chipset block that's truly restrictive. They just aren't designed that way. Instead of falling for the argument that "it won't do any good", just look at the chipset as another source of heat and noise that can be added to your loop for the sake of efficiency.

IMO, the NF4 SLI chipset... working as SLI, produce around 42 watts of heat. I could be wrong, since I am making comparisons with the amount of heat from video cards; since they had the same heatsink on top of their gpu. IMO is more or less similar to an old 9700 Pro.

Again, as long as your loop can handle the added heat, it isn't a big deal. ~1c isn't going to make an already efficient loop inefficient. If as an individual you decide that you don't want to WC your chipset that's fine, but making up reasons why someone else shouldn't is just plain egotistical and adds more old-wives-tale's. Water-cooling is confusing enough, even without more of those.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I think my loop can handle the heat because my reservoir is almost 10Litres and the radiator is than usual radiators in the stores. I hate the noise my computer makes and by watercooling the chipset and the gpu i could have quiet computing...maybe not. I'm trying to find my limits...