Expert prone to crashes with 3dMark...

ah, are you using ntune?! IF SO UNINSTALL IT! and revert to defautl before it

that may be your problem, that is one screwed up program

What is so wrong with nTune? I use it to adjust my clocks. It's the only program that seems to set both of my video card clocks? And, when I'm checking my overclocks, it lets me adjust the FSB for the next test without booting into the BIOS.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, the ntune is a source to a lot of programs

you wanna oc? use the bios

you wanna oc the vid card, use ati tools, rivatuner or anything else

ntune is not the program i would use, and that is an understatement.

dude, the ntune is a source to a lot of programs

you wanna oc? use the bios

you wanna oc the vid card, use ati tools, rivatuner or anything else

ntune is not the program i would use, and that is an understatement.

Thanks.

I was hoping for some specifics -- so that I know what to look for/avoid.

What kind of problems: wrong settings? instability? crashes? incompatibilities with other programs? kills MB?

a. crashes.

b. you just dont overclock from windows...

its a basic point, that everyone here will probably agree on, if you wanna overclock, do it from your bios. that is the place to do it, and thats the only place that you know that if you put 2, it will be 2, softwares has bugs, i cant say bios dont, but you cant compare.

i would never ever do a serious oc from windows, its just too damn dangerous.

That's a really good point about not making that kind of change from windows. I've expected more crashes/locks and have been surprised -- but I'm only making small changes (set base params in BIOS and seeing if just a little more will work :)).

Thanks.

Not sure if this pertains to you but this is what i found about the 7900GT's

This is from EVGA and OCZ Techs so don't flame me :)

I recently got the EVGA 7900GT Signature Series Dual Pack and everything runs fine all games and NO CRASHING in SLI mode. Running one card at a time runs all the benchmarks great !!!! But when i try to run Benchmarks 01, 03 ,05 or 06 in SLI the first test runs and then the whole system freezes, After talking to EVGA Tech they ask waht power supply i had, i told them i had the OCZ ADJ600W Powerstream and he said that was the problem i thought to myself NO WAY !!!! He said i need dual 12v rails at a minimum of 22A but said he perfered 24A. I said i thought the 7900GT used less power than the 7800GTX's he said NO he said they are very power hungry. So i figured i would call OCZ Tech, after explaining the situation to him he AGREED that it was indeed the Power Supply and said that they were having major issues with power to the 7900GT in SLI, he told me that they have a new 700W GamerXtreme that should take card of the problem and he offered me a swap my 600W for the 700W :) (no that is customer service) One thing he said that was interesting is that the 700W works great with the DFI Expert he said they are working close with DFI (not sure what he ment by that). I will let you know next week when i get the 700W OCZ. Below are the specs fro EVGA for the 7900GT SS:

Requirements

A SLI capable motherboard is required to run both cards together

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.

(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 20 Amp Amps.)

Minimum 500 Watt for SLI mode system.

(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amp Amps.)

An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N569-S2

I did a google search and it has been very hard to find a power supply with Dual 22A+ or more. I talk with PC Power&Cooling and they said all i need is the Turbo-Cool 510 ASL

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/vie...php?show=T51ASL

even though it does not have dual rails he said this would be the best for the 7900GT SLI setup (34A to 38A) but ay a cost of $229.00 it's cheaper to buy right from the factory !!!!

Guest burningrave101
even though it does not have dual rails he said this would be the best for the 7900GT SLI setup (34A to 38A) but ay a cost of $229.00 it's cheaper to buy right from the factory !!!!

Its not recommended to purchase a dual rail PSU for SLI/Crossfire because what happens is both video cards will try and run off a single rail and will max it out causing the system to freeze/crash. Its better to have a PSU with a single powerful +12V rail or a PSU with 3-4+ 12v rails. The OCZ PowerStream 520w is actually a better PSU for SLI then the 600w model.

I am not pissed about it anymore, but my problem was I got 3 pairs of faultly 7900gts, 2 sets from evga and 1 from xfx, I do run BIOS 11/02 and I have ran prime95 torture test for 48 hours and ran MEMTEST for 48 hours with no problems, I test my buddies 7800gts in SLI and that worked fine for a week, he used his old 6800GT to help a brotha out.

...I was realy pissed about those cards not working, I guess they mass produced a batch of shotty cards...and I had the luck of getting all bad ones...oh well...

anyone have problems with the 7800GTs?

What is so wrong with nTune? I use it to adjust my clocks. It's the only program that seems to set both of my video card clocks? And, when I'm checking my overclocks, it lets me adjust the FSB for the next test without booting into the BIOS.

Ntune kills boards dead

period

it's a common issue when you use it to adjust any bios-leve settings

avoid it at all cost

Its not recommended to purchase a dual rail PSU for SLI/Crossfire because what happens is both video cards will try and run off a single rail and will max it out causing the system to freeze/crash. Its better to have a PSU with a single powerful +12V rail or a PSU with 3-4+ 12v rails. The OCZ PowerStream 520w is actually a better PSU for SLI then the 600w model.

not true if you have a good psu that has split rails for pci-e devices (not just split rails)

the new OCZ GX psu's have 4 12v rails and they perform admirably in crossfire, as do other psu's with dedicated pci-e1 and pci-e2 (12v 6-pin for gpu's) rails

The OCZ PowerStream 520w is actually a better PSU for SLI then the 600w model.

this IS true on the Powerstream series. I cannot get my 600w to boot the board with both Xfire cards...but the 520w Powerstream is a monster ;)