Are You Trying To Get To Google?

andrusk

I just got on my dads laptop and tried to go to google. I suspect its some kind of spyware. Or google caught on to the spyware? or something else? I dont know. Has anyone else had this come up when they try to go to google? Please leave me any comments you have about this id really like to know what you guys think.

Are you trying to get to Google?

Your computer is running software that doesn

Edited by andrusk

::shrug:: wierd

http://www.mozilla.org/

use that instead :P

this looks legit. I dont know why or how it would work but I coudlnt see how removing any google related informations on your comptuer would adversly effect it. Also, you should run spybot(goto www.download.com and search for spybot) Get the latest includes and then scan and destroy spyware.

Edited by Ronin

I got it fixed. I ran ad aware and it didnt find anything so i figured id try what the page said. So i tried it, and when i looked at my host table there was an entry for everysingle search page i have ever heard of with the SAME ip address!! Crazy weird stuff. Anyway, i just deleted all the entries with that ip address and now it works.

I gotta tell my dad to not click on any pop up ads and to just alt f4 them! :bah:

The hosts file can be generated by spyware deletion programs or something else that will attempt to use its own IP for a URL. I generally use the hosts file to block advertisements.

the HOSTS file is VERY useful. There's no harm in editing your hosts file, so yeah, if a website tells you to check your hosts file, like google did, then there's no harm in going to see if there is in fact an entry.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of the HOSTS file because i figured most everyone here uses a Kazaa-type program, and if you're smart, you use Kazaalite. With kazaalite, they have a hosts file you can install that basically blocks well-known advertisement/popup websites. At least the K++ version has a host file (i know when kazaalite first came out, it didn't have it's own hosts file to install, but in the "help" it did talk about the hosts file and what you can do).

I've used it myself to block certain popups. (I don't use a popup blocking program, because i don't trust that every popup it will block i don't want to see...i do use adaware for spyware crap of course). I used to get this stupid "xupiter" toolbar thing install on my comp, and it's a pain in the . to uninstall (u have to go to there website and find where it talks about unistalling it, and then click it on the website and it uninstalls it). So i just went into my hosts file and added:

127.0.0.1 www.xupiter.com

and i haven't gotten it since. I also blocked out www.lucky7.com and www.lucky7s.com because i was sick and tired of getting those gambling ads. lol.

basically, putting 127.0.0.1 just redirects that page to your computer, thus, never accessing it. The HOSTS file is a nifty little tool :)