Onboard Sound?...

Hi all! I just ordered the configuration in my sig from newegg.com and I'm just wondering what the deal is with the onboard sound for the Ultra-D. I see that it is a seperate module in the pictures...so do you just take it and attach it to the board?

How does that all work?

I'm new to dfi-street so please forgive me if this question is n00bish!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Retratserif
i gota buy a sound card cus the module gets in the way of my case fan and soon to be water system

I used the area where the onboard sound to fit my tubing through. I used a piece of static free plastic "so much laying around atm" and foam that came with my Razer mouse pad "excess that wasnt used for more noise canceling". I cut a strip foam roughly 6 inches long and 1 inch wide, then plastic 8 inches long and 3 inches wide. wrapped the faom in plastic and fused them with a sodering iron. Any iron will do, or even a lighter if you can pull it off with out lighting it up in flames. Then I slowly bent the onboard area of the I/O shield untill it was one large hole. I used small needle nose plyers, they also had a cutter in the middle to clip off the jaggies. Filed the rest down a bit, and inserted the plastic covered foam. Gently slid the tubes through.

Oh yeah.... Your answer is in the manual dude. Its fairly easy. Just read the instructions carefully and you really cant go wrong.

Yes...you'll need to attach it to the motherboard as it comes in a separate bag thingy...but don't worry it's fairly easy to install....just make sure the white plastic things are aligned with the holes in the mobo so they can snap in place...

Onboard sound is major suck on these boards IMO. I dont know if it has to do with the karajan module not being 100% compatible with nvidia but.. I had nothing but issues with it. Took me forever to figure out how to get spdif to work (if you do a search not even the forum mods know how...) games crackled, lossless music sounded very compressed and crackly etc. SPDIF isn't compatible with the Realtek drivers so I wonder how much testing went into the actual karajan module and it's implementation.

I replaced it with a chaintek AV-710 card (which is a $20 budget soundcard). Which theoretically should be no better than onboard. Games actually run better now, allow more channels in playback, don't crackle, don't BSOD anymore... etc

Onboard sound is major suck on these boards IMO. I dont know if it has to do with the karajan module not being 100% compatible with nvidia but.. I had nothing but issues with it. Took me forever to figure out how to get spdif to work (if you do a search not even the forum mods know how...) games crackled, lossless music sounded very compressed and crackly etc. SPDIF isn't compatible with the Realtek drivers so I wonder how much testing went into the actual karajan module and it's implementation.

The Karajan "module" is nothing but a solution to reduce noise and EMI from the actual mobo PCB and it does so reducing CPU cycle usage....

SPDIF is nothing but a conection...using digital signals...

The onboard sound works fine for me...the ALC850 is not as nice as the newer high definitions but is not as bad as you portrait....

The Karajan "module" is nothing but a solution to reduce noise and EMI from the actual mobo PCB and it does so reducing CPU cycle usage....

SPDIF is nothing but a conection...using digital signals...

The onboard sound works fine for me...the ALC850 is not as nice as the newer high definitions but is not as bad as you portrait....

Ok, so for instance, I have a notebook computer and i have my Altec Lansing FX-6021 speakers (very high quality) plugged into the heaphone jack on the side of the notebook. Would the Ultra-D's onboard sound be just as good, if not better, than that?...

Ok, so for instance, I have a notebook computer and i have my Altec Lansing FX-6021 speakers (very high quality) plugged into the heaphone jack on the side of the notebook. Would the Ultra-D's onboard sound be just as good, if not better, than that?...

Well that depends....you told me you have a kick butt set of speakers but you didn't say anything about the actual sound card of the notebook....

we're talking about the karajan module here, not quality of speakers

Well that depends....you told me you have a kick butt set of speakers but you didn't say anything about the actual sound card of the notebook....

we're talking about the karajan module here, not quality of speakers

well the onboard sound is i believe realtek ACsomething....the onboard sound of the Ultra-D should be at least as good right?...