Putting Things in Perspective

soundx98

There is even more mind-blowing stuff going on here when you consider the distances involved. If soundx98's Sun is 12 inches across, the Earth's relative position would be 107 feet away! Furthermore, Pluto would be a staggering 4250 feet away!!! That's over three quarters of a mile!!!

Now imagine a circle centered at the sun with a radius of 4250 ft., with Pluto orbiting around the circumference. In that circle (which is over a mile and a half wide), the only appreciable matter that is to be found are the balls shown in the first post. Talk about empty!!! And our Solar System is a relatively dense section of space!

If you really want to trip out, consider that almost the same thing is going on at the molecular (let alone subatomic) level. Have you ever thought about how small a proton is? An electron? Now apply the same logic regarding distances as above. The molecules that comprise all that we know are just as empty as our Solar System! And the only molecules to even speak of are the Sun and the planets!

You'll have to excuse me now, I feel a Buddhist moment coming on...

"Life is emptiness. Form is emptiness. Ommmmmm"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

now...in that last pic...

imagine the sun is OEM comps that come pre-built like Dell, Gateway, eMachines, even your local mom-n-pop computer stores

I would say Jupiter or Saturn would be us, those that build our own rigs

the Earth would be those of us that buy our own crap to tweak it out for watercooling, overclocking, etc

hehehe, I see I am not the only one that was intrigued by this.

Pluto's orbit around the sun tales 248 years.

But it's an elliptical orbit, so for 10 of those 248 years it is actually closer in than Neptune. (last time 1989-1999).

May be one of those useless pieces of trivia that win you a free drink at the bar some night :)

ive heard the function of jupter is to deflect the path of incoming asteroids and protect the other planets within our solar system. its effective b.c its so far out in orbit and its huge size and density makes its gravity 2.4g

ive heard the function of jupter is to deflect the path of incoming asteroids and protect the other planets within our solar system. its effective b.c its so far out in orbit and its huge size and density makes its gravity 2.4g
I just have to know who told the people you heard it from.

I wouldnt go as far to say thats its function, but rather something that just happens. Thats like saying Halie's comet function is to give 100s of photographers jobs.

fair enough :)

but on a smaller scale the moon has the same effect in guarding earth, it has craters all over the surface. whether that is its sole purpose for existing is left up for interpertation.

But it's an elliptical orbit, so for 10 of those 248 years it is actually closer in than Neptune. (last time 1989-1999).

I recall that from somewhere...but it occurs to me now my elementary teachers were full of crap when we learned the order of planets. At the time I learned it Neptune woulda been the last.

...whether that is its sole purpose for existing is left up for interpertation.

woah man...woah. Purpose??

lay off the green man... :P

Its extramly small, about the size of an asteroid, and has been given the temperory name of planet "x". I belive that was because of some journalist trying to make his story sound good but i never know where some of these names com from.