Sign in to follow this  
opti

Cpu and ram don't want to get along

I can handle using a divider, althought I prefer not to as my ram cam go high enought but I can't go higher than 140mhz 7/10 divider with sooo loose timings!? That ain't right.

Hows this too cpu-z saying my ram is pc3200 when its Mushkin PC4000. And its not showing the frequency when it was before. Man my pc is possessed.

Besides, I know I can just lower my fsb and go down to like 2550 but I don't want too as I know it can go better. Well it should. I know I sound stubborn but hey.

Erm, edit to the cpu-z problem. I tried running my multi at 11x, ram and fsb at 237mhz with 1/01 ratio so the cpu is at about 2600mhz. It booted up fine, then I realised when I went back into the bios that I still had it on the 140mhz 7/10 ratio :nod: .

Anyway I put it on 1/01 and it has again booted into Windows, yay!. But I'm robbing myself of at least 35mhz of ram speed.

I'll start to increase it until it won't boot anymore.

sounds like you found the sweet spot rught here....you need not worry about 35Mhz of ram speed...lol

some times the max of cpu, and the max of mem dont work together well cause of the mem controller on the cpu....in you case it might be a tad weak

but as suggested, start with the basics....mem test your ram first

best way to start is one stick at a time.....if you have a weaker stick, place it in the orange slot closest to the cpu

after test both sticks....8 hours all tests.

then proceed to follow the oc'ing guide...

find your max cpu Mhz...which i think you said was 2700....but try again,,,keeping your cpu volts as low as possible....only raise the volts when needed..in small increments...and raise the fsb 10 at a time...as you get closer to the max...go 5 at a time.

then find your max ram...you say 270....test it in memtest!

good luck, and again....keep us posted

so go back to the start mate, start with memtest,

Yeah I did that first before I found out these problems. I memtested it for 6 hours at 270mhz. Passed with flying colours.

be sure your mem is ok, start checking your stuff, cause you'll get a wholllttaaa more problems if you oc a problematic machine :

I don't know what else to check, Iv'e changed sata cables, hdd's, ram and more cables. The only thing I haven't swapped over is the mobo. I might go get a chaepo' all-in-one tomorrow and test it on that to make sure it's not the mobo.

sounds like you found the sweet spot rught here....you need not worry about 35Mhz of ram speed...lol

Jeez if that the sweet spot I'm selling it and going back to my old 146 that does 3.2ghz.

some times the max of cpu, and the max of mem dont work together well cause of the mem controller on the cpu....in you case it might be a tad weak

Yeah as I have found out, a tad too weak for my liking, not a good intro to X2's hey.

Something I just realised even my 146 had a little hard time overclocking together with ram. Must be something with Opterons.

Edit : Wouldn't be a dud bios chip would it? :confused:

Get this, I moved the ram from orange to yellow and she boots into Windows even at 265mhz, 10x multi at 2650mhz cpu. Running OCCT now, dunno if thats good for x2's but I've got the vcore at 1.58v so far and its failed twice before early in the test at 1.54 and 1.55volts.

Lets hope.

If I can get to 2700mhz stable, I don't even know if thats a good o/c for this chip, I'm used to 3ghz plus from my other ones, I might be happy enough to put up with the slow shut downs and the odd freeze up. I dunno.

Edit : Damn it!! not stable at 1.58v. I don't wanna go much higher.

what your status at this point?

yeah...dont go higher on the volts...too much heat....and summer is around the corner

what your status at this point?

yeah...dont go higher on the volts...too much heat....and summer is around the corner

Well I'm on the other side of the world so winter ain't far away. Heat, well, my temps never go over 40c degrees, even at 1.58v.

I think it is just a weak memory controller. I ain't happy with 2.6ghz.

I went out today and got a Venice 3000+ to put in my pc, as the slow shut down problem has got me worried. Anyhow it made no difference, still takes ages to shut down, the only things left are the mobo and the hdd.

I did have a spare new 80gb sata Seagate but it burnt to the ground last night when I plugged it in with a cheapo' yum cha power cable. The power plug actually welded itself onto the hdd. So I'm waiting for my other hdd to arrive to try with that. The hhd drive I'm using atm is a 74gb Raptor, brand new, I tested it and found no errors on it so yeah! I dunno at this point.

But as far as the cpu goes...lemon.

slow shutdown is usually the nvidia ide drivers, ya sure you didnt install it?

Positive, it does it with only Windows installed and NO drivers at all. Hoping its not my Raptor I just got.