[RESOLVED] 4 LED's & No boot

Guest Timmay_merged

Guest Timmay

Came home today and plugged in my floppy drive that I had just bought new and went to power on my system and I smelt the dreaded cooked smell.

It definitely is coming from my floppy drive. And my system powered down.

After a few swear words I turned off the power and unplugged the floppy and tried to power back on but all I get is the 4 LEDS on constantly and then my system turns off after 5-6 seconds.

The steps I have taken are

1. unplug all un-necessary items - floppy ($%^#), my DVD and only one stick of RAM in the Yellow slot closest to the outside of the mobo (I normally have them in the orange)

I tried to boot off that but still the Red Lights.

2. I have removed the Battery and in a few minutes time I will plug it back in.

It will have been around 20 minutes - I know the steps are 15mins then 12 hours then 48.

I'm gonna run some more searches after this post.

*edit* can any one help me find "eXRoadies' CMOS clear procedure"

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24 :)

Guest Timmay

Just tried it with the full reset for an hour and I got the mobo to turn on and stay on instead of it switching off after 5 seconds - still has the 4 solid RED LED's. But then after that the only lights I get is the standby LED and the DRAM Power LED and it wont switch on.

Any ideas so far?

Guest caffeinejunkie

Well ill bet you put the fdd power cable in upside down it's very easy to do

ive done it myself quite a few times

it's possible that if that is the case then you fried your psu

do you have another one to test (can even be weak one since your testing with bare min)

are you sure you have all 4 cables on the mobo (20+4,4,molex,floppy) you may have bumped one or knocked one loose when installing the floppy

thats all i can think of for 3am

Ill come back tomarrow with some sleep in me and see if I remeber anything else :nod:

good luck

Guest Timmay

haha, I belive I might have, I have a 400W iCute here, 20 pin + 4ATX... I might give her a rip tomorow after the long reset.

Just tried it now :rolleyes: And no go, just the DRAM LED and Stand by LED and the light on the front of my case (the power on) stays on with no boot or nothing... I spose you cant ask much from a 400w iCute.

Guest Timmay

Ok, So I have been reading and reading... Another problem maybe a corrupt BIOS.

Now some people have purchased one thru A_G (??) How would I go about getting one of these all they way down in weee old New Zealand?

Hello,

How did you put the new power supply in the case?

Was everything, whole board + gfx card + heatsink in the case.

Did the PSU hit anything when you were installing it?

Guest Timmay

Hey, I just popped it on the side of the case on the desk.

Mobo, One stick of RAM, CPU + HSF, GPU and one ide h/d with an image of my raid setup.

With no joy or nothing.. Just the 2 on board lights and nothing else came on.

Sorry I don't quite understand - knock it? I was installing a new Floppy Drive not psu sorry.

If it did short out - I was in the BIOS when this happened - my psu would have switched to shut down/short circuit mode, it pretty much recovers via a simple power down and power up.

do a cmos clear>hold down the "insert" key while powering on the comp....and put 1 stick of ram in the orange slot farthest from cpu....not yellow slot, as you said...

...see if this gets you to boot...if so, as soon as you are booting>hit delete key get into bios, and load optimized settings....good luck

Guest Retratserif

I also suggest different ram to start. Get something that has really low timings. It may help your first boot.

Guest Timmay
do a cmos clear>hold down the "insert" key while powering on the comp....and put 1 stick of ram in the orange slot farthest from cpu....not yellow slot, as you said...

...see if this gets you to boot...if so, as soon as you are booting>hit delete key get into bios, and load optimized settings....good luck

Awesome, I'm doing the 24 hour clear at the moment, So i will be able to try it again in about 7 hours. If there is still no joy could it be a corrupt BIOS? Is it RMA worthy?

Guest Timmay

Ok so I've done the CMOS clear. I applyed power all 4 LED's lit up and stayed on, no boot no beeps or anything. Pressed the reset button and the rig doesn't power on.

The 2 orange lights are still on.

Could this be bios or hardware?

Should I take her apart and RMA?

AMD ATHLON 3200+ has been installed and tested but still no go.

Guest Retratserif

I guess you can RMA it anytime, but thats a pure pain and shipping cost may be alot. Follow the "proper Cmos Clear Guide" and do it for 48 hours. If you do it exactly like that and it still doesnt boot you have your self a RMA.

Now you also have to remember, no mobo is designed to take DDR550 right out the box. You have to use one stick in Dimm 2 of DRR400, lower the timings it can handle the better. This allows you to get in and change the settings to allow your ram, basically set the timings to the rated stock. Does not mean you will get 275 on your CPU's highest multi. Mostly will not unless you have some serious subzero cooling and alot luck.