Opteron 146 purchase

AFTbird

I have found an operton 146 in box new (OSA146BNBOX) on sale online from wiredzone. Should I buy now? Or wait a couple weeks and see if they drop in price because of the new intel processors.

Are you building a complete system? If so, wait until AM2 is released this May 23rd. Do a google search for more information. It would be a shame to get a nice system, only to have it out dated a week later. New CPUs and motherboards... Along with the introduction of DDR2 memory to the Athlon 64 platform will increase performance by as much as 10% over current hardware, worth the wait in my opinion.

If you know the rough specs of your new machine, put them in your signature so we know how to help you the best way possible. :)

Well the system is built except for the processor and almost identical to yours with air cooling. I didn't think a 10% gain is worth the wait so I went ahead and built it. So it is between the 3700+ and the opteron 146. So I think I will wait.

Guest Kobalt
I have found an operton 146 in box new (OSA146BNBOX) on sale online from wiredzone. Should I buy now? Or wait a couple weeks and see if they drop in price because of the new intel processors.

The new intel chips won't ship for a few months, not a few weeks. AM2 should ship next week sometime. Hopefully, prices will drop, but maybe AM2 chips will be cheaper than 939 versions of the same chip.

Well then that kinda sucks for you. :P

At any rate, the Opteron will work out just fine.

Well the system is built except for the processor and almost identical to yours with air cooling. I didn't think a 10% gain is worth the wait so I went ahead and built it. So it is between the 3700+ and the opteron 146. So I think I will wait.

I'd go with the 146, they are awesome.

I'm passing on AM2. 939 is killer and like a fine wine.

Went through the NewCastle, Winchester, Venice, Opty deal.

No need to rush into it. 2007 is my next upgrade year.

that sounds like "sound" advice...;)

If you dont have to live on the bleeding edge all the time...stay where your at and save your coin.... let the others rush in and get the 1st batch.... they way when they improve them you'll be ready for batch #2....