Let it begin. Let me say one thing WINBLOWS BLOWS

Ill let someone else decide to start

Edited by Kevin_E_Cramer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kevin, how old are you?

another thing to consider linux and unix are NOT the same thing in the real world. I'd give you a month of administering a Unix server (HP unix for example) in the REAL world, and you'd be appoligizing. This is why windows 2000 advance server TOOK 1/3 of the millions of unix servers as it's own.

also don't bother to say "unix is free" cuz that's not the case either. HP unix is just as expensive in a server environment if not more.

I hate HP-UX, Solaris 9, and AIX..

Well... maybe it's just the CDE that I didn't like... or Sun's messed up keyboard. :P

As far as Linux, I love it. It takes some adjustment, but once you get the hang of it, it really is straight forward and easy to use.

Windows is popular, because it's the first desktop OS anyone really used. There was nothing else, and there really wasn't anything else to use. People got use to it, and they've stuck with it. Why change when you all ready know how to use something? People go the easiest path, and sticking with something you know is much easier than learning something new.

Edited by d3bruts1d

I personally don't have the same issues with linux as I do with unix. I'm sure if it had better software support it would be one thing. but Unix it self is a totally different animal. it's not something you take an off the shelf system, tweak it out a little and load the OS on. it's much more involved than that. Infact my first order of business on monday is to spec the server that will replace that hp D class net server for dynix (hp unix derived system for library information systems). so don't be fooled by thinking if you know linux you know unix... cuz you DON'T. I can enough in either one to administer a server, but not nearly as much as windows NT class os's. I can also work with VMS and novell (I'm also going to kill all the novell software and replace it with 2000 advance server while I'm at it on the new job).

I gotta agree with BigRed on this one. I've used linux and Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and I have to say that W2K Adv. Svr. is MUCH easier to set up and use. I am currently running W2k Advanced Server on this POS machine that I will soon be using as a server, but I built it only as a stand-by while my parts are being RMA'd. Because I decided to go with Windows instead of Linux, I can acutally use the programs that I use on my regular comp, and its very livable.

I am also running 2k Adv Server on my HP NetServer LH Pro, and its run every kind of server I've ever asked it to (all game, http, pop3, smtp, ftp, etc etc servers I've needed). It can do EVERYTHING that Linux can, just as stably, and if you keep it up to date and behind a firewall (or use it AS a firewall) you're secure, too.

So, that's my end of this argument..

Trios

Linux and Unix have great cores gotta give em that.

yeah, but so do apples. Whats your point?

p.s. apples as in food :withstupid:

Edited by andrusk