Best overclocking Dual Core opterons post here

Hi guys, Im currently running a single core opteron 146 at 2.7ghz primestable and Im looking into upgrading to dual core! What is the best overclocking opteron dual core? Im looking for around 2.5-2.6ghz on a zalman alcu7000 cooler. Would you suggest opteron over x2? I though I read somewhere the memmory controller of the dual core opteron was superior to the x2's. There wont be any problems with my other components correct? Im looking for a great overclocker at a great price (arent we all) any information, model numbers, best steppings, results into this matter are appreciate. Thanks in advance for your posts. God I love dfi-street. :nod:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have fun: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96900

The good steppings hit 3.0ghz, the bad ones hit 2.6ghz or so (and then you have the downright awful ones which won't go past 2.4ghz).

Opteron>>X2

There won't be any issues, though sometimes you may need to get a dual core fix, which you can get from AMD's site, but you only apply that if you find you have problems, not before.

That cooler works great for single cores but isn't very good for dual cores.

With that cooler I was running about48c under full load at stock voltage.Even removing the IHS didn't help much.

Bought a TT big typhoon and now I don't even hit 40c under full load.

I got my first 165 today. CCBWE 0551 VPMW. not the best stepping, but I got a good price on it used. The previous owner needs a higher multiplier, so it is now mine!

Priming at 2.55 w/ 1.47 V now. :D

I have a CCBWE 0551UPMW that i got brand-new last week. It's prime stable 12hrs+ @ 2.6ghz @ 1.45V. I haven't tried anything higher, waiting for my Arctic Freezer Pro 64 to arrive on Tuesday, and then I don't have to worry so much about my 50c load temps.

Guest shaolin95

I am in love with my new opteron! Not that there was anything wrong with my previous one at 2780mhz but I am a hardware freak. :-)

I'm testing a newish 0607 upbw. This is considered one of the "rubbish steppings". I am 300x9 at 1.5v priming right now. To me this represents a good deal. You can get these chips really cheap - probably around 100USD cheaper than any of the 3Ghz chips. If you are looking at 2.5-2.6, I can recommend this.