Sign in to follow this  
calvintang

Help me to set up a network..

then just disable DHCP on your router and give each PC it's own unique IP. I'd Give PC #1 192.168.1.101 and PC #2 192.1768.1.102. Both would need a mask of /24 (255.255.255.0), use the router as the gateway.

thanks for the reply... but i dont get the 'mask of /24'D

will both still go online simultaneously if i disable the DHCP?

just found what what DHCP means.. The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is an Internet protocol for automating the configuration of computers that use TCP/IP. DHCP can be used to automatically assign IP addresses, to deliver TCP/IP stack configuration parameters such as the subnet mask and default router, and to provide other configuration information such as the addresses for printer, time and news servers.

now that may be the one many step that i did wrong..

type ipconfig in the command line of both PC's. write the information down, then on 1 PC type /release (hit enter) then type /renew (hit enter) then do the same on PC #2

Then from pc 1 type ping ip xxx.xxx.x.xxx (the x's being the IP address of PC 2) also try ping ip 255.255.255.0 (that should be your default gateway

thanks for the reply... but i dont get the 'mask of /24'D

will both still go online simultaneously if i disable the DHCP?

just found what what DHCP means.. The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is an Internet protocol for automating the configuration of computers that use TCP/IP. DHCP can be used to automatically assign IP addresses, to deliver TCP/IP stack configuration parameters such as the subnet mask and default router, and to provide other configuration information such as the addresses for printer, time and news servers.

now that may be the one many step that i did wrong..

DCHP just assigns all the addresses automatically...if you want to do port forwarding though you'll need to set it up manually. I'm not sure what ^^ he's talking about pinging 255.255.2555.0 for...you can't ping your subnet mask and no your subnet mask is NOT your default gateway. Your router needs to be your gateway.

If you need me to help you...hit me up on MSN.

Yah sorry was in a rush to leave, no need to be rude , anway try pinging your default gateway (ip config will bring it up, the last address)

p.s. If you post your suggestions here it may help other folks in the future

Yah sorry was in a rush to leave, no need to be rude , anway try pinging your default gateway (ip config will bring it up, the last address)

p.s. If you post your suggestions here it may help other folks in the future

Sorry...didn't mean to come accross as rude :tooth:

ugh.. back to square 1.. i reinstalled my windows.. and set it all to the same settings... now no more file sharing... can you please hwlp me step by step? better post here for help ..so that future network noobs can read this.

well for printer sharing just goto printers and faxes and right click your printer, then properties then sharing, enable sharing, apply/save

for file sharing goto where ever your shared folder is and right click it, properties, sharing, share this folder on the network

Im watching this because I also are trying to figure out how the kid and I can play the same game together at home on a network

i put an entire partition to share... but both pc's are 'blind' i ran the 'network setup a few times aready... the last successful try was , my start up bar pop up a network place... but now.. nothing...

Usually setting up a Microsoft peer-to-peer network is dirt simple. Computers on the network will even automatically find and install shared printers.

Have you run the network setup wizard? Control panel, Network connections, Set up home or small office netwok.

Are you sure no firewalls are installed on both machines? (SP2 firewall., Zone Alarm, Nvidia)

Have you tried resetting your router, usually a little pinhole on the back, just press it with a paper clip for about 10secs with the power on.