Why so slow?

This is my first rig ive built so im kinda new to all of this. Its a low budget comp as you can see, but it still should be faster than it is. When I boot up it takes about 70seconds or so to load up windows xp. Ive tried re-installing xp and switching HDs. Nothing seems to work. Ive scanned for viruses and spyware but again came up with nothing. I know this isnt exactly a top of the line comp but it should be able to handle playing an mp3 and browsing websites without freezing.

Thanks for your help.

CoolerMaster 420watt PSU

this could be part of your problem

Prescott cpu's and the LGA775 platforms take quite a bit of power

I can guarantee you that every LGA775 motherboard is a 24-pin board and needs a good chunk of power (and a quality 24-pin ATX power supply).

as for freezing, you need to go into BIOS and Load Optimized Defaults, then set the bios settings how you like other than cpu/memory settings (as loading Load Optimized Defaults will do that for you).

make sure your memory is in dual channel mode (see manual that came with the board for that)

• 2 weeks later...

i also own the LP UT 865PE-T (Not TAG but still), and a 630... And only 512mb mem atm... and my system doesn't take that long to boot ? (:

Maybe you're just unlucky...

Im not running on a fancy PSU, just a ChillInnovation (Danish Brand) 400w PSU...