coolbits killing 7900 gtx cards or maybe psu???

Is it possible to permanently kill my 7900 gtx's using coolbits and the auto detect OC feature?? How could I tell if a PSU is killing cards? I had to RMA my Enermax 620 because I suspected it was doing just that. Maybe something to do with the voltage on the dedicated pcie power outputs?? The only thing I could think is to use a PSU tester.

Thanks Guys.

--EJM

If your PSU is unstable it could technically kill any component, they all have some form of voltage regulator that could be abused. It could also be overvolted.

Coolbits shouldn't affect it...keep in mind the auto oc usually goes too high. If you really want a halfway accurate oc using that run rthdrbl for 20 minutes before using the autodetect, then run it again afterwards to doubl check, then just tweak from there.

Is it possible to permanently kill my 7900 gtx's using coolbits and the auto detect OC feature?? How could I tell if a PSU is killing cards? I had to RMA my Enermax 620 because I suspected it was doing just that. Maybe something to do with the voltage on the dedicated pcie power outputs?? The only thing I could think is to use a PSU tester.

Thanks Guys.

--EJM

No on CB's and more than likely no on the PS as you would have failures of other components the PS is powering from the 12V rail.

Viper

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys.

--EJM

What did you notice when using CoolBits Auto Detection Freqs. obtion/feature? Did you get any artifacts on the desktop or your monitor started to shut off and on? You should really hook up a multimeter (It's so easy....) to see how your rails are when you're doing this next time....

http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=137886

I've seen people using the Enermax 620W Liberty for CF and SLI on either the X1900's or the 7900GTX, but not sure if they also have the cards (video cards) overclocked as well. You also have a dual core overclocked too, you should really check your rails, i've posted guides that are in those URL's. :)

Note: Have you tried using RivaTuner, or even the new CoolBits 2.0 instead of the original CoolBits?

I've had a lot of problems with my 7900 gtx evga cards. I bought a new psu and that didn't really fix it. Pc P&c 1000w quad sli. I also have an old Abit Fatality an8-sli mobo that I use for testing. I have 1 working 7900 gtx card right now. I've had 2 out of 6 video cards that we're ok so far.

-EJM

There have been a number of thread here and on other forums that the 7900 variants take some kind of permanent damage, probably to the voltage regulators, when overclocking.

In situations where 7800s wouldn't take damage.