Sign in to follow this  
charlie22911

is 100Mhz AGP harmful?

well, as the question implied, is 100Mhz agp harmful? ive ran my system at 90Mhz agp when i used my AIW 9600, and now discovered that 100Mhz runs happy on my AIW X800XT (mabye cause PCIe is 100Mhz?). i mentioned that when i posted a thread asking about NFII thermal limits at the amd forums and had what speeds i was runing at when the NB heatsink fell off, i was getting replies like "thats insane" "i would defenatly back off to 6633", i dont see whats wrong though, im perfectly stable at 10050, so should i worry? neoaether says he has had his at 12060 before so high agp speeds cant be uncommon...

neoaether says he has had his at 12060 before so high agp speeds cant be uncommon...

Are you saying the things that Neo does are common, lmao. He's seventy and senile you know. (JK neo- happy birthday)

Sorry Charlie don't really know the answer to your ?

wow, he dont seem 70 O_o... happy B-Day neo!

lol, i didnt mean it like that, i just ment overclocking the agp bus can be uncommon. heck i get an instant freeze at 120agp :sweat:, heck i would love to see what he could do with phase :O.

any how, i know about potential HDD coruption, but i havnt had a problem with that (there was one strange thing where both HDD's were borked, but i think that had something to do with a raid array i borked :O). the X800XT is a LOT more tolerant to high AGP speeds, i needed 1.8v agp for my 9600 @ 90Mhz agp, but my X800 will do 100agp @ 1.7v agp from stock 1.5... mabye it was because designed at the core for PCIe speed busses... IDK, but it give me extra bandwith to work with :).

Don't see how it can be harmful. Worst case scenario maybe some hard drive corruption. I wasn't able to push the AGP bus much part 92 with my NF2 Ultra B but, same deal, I never experienced any HD corruption. We're overclockers and system tuners. I don't run anything in spec on my NF4 rig either.

i just got a lanparty nf3 250gb for my son and the agp is set at 66 on the board i was going to change it but wasnt really sure what it would do

would i get a performance boost from changing up?

Guest Blooz1

Wow, this thread is takin' me back!

The first board I ever really O/C'd, an Epox 8K5A2, didn't have any locks...........

I got it to damn near 200FSB, too! Good ol' XP1600 Palomino, AGOIA!

My system in my sig can run 100mhz agp stable. I pick up maybe 2-3 fps in games and 40-60 3dmark03 points. I get a problem thats hard to describe though. Games kinda get jerky I guess, like they speed up and slow down a little while playing. Although fps wise 100mhz agp is a hair faster, and I mean a very un-noticable hair bit, it gives me that influent game play that I can't stand. The higher the res or more aa/as I have on the worse it gets also. Playing UT2004 at 4xAA and 8xAS at 1280x960 is unplayable for me. Set the pci bus at 66mhz I lose an average of 2-3 fps but everything is smooth as butter afterwords. :) That's my experiance with overclocking the agp bus. With my 9600pro AIW card and my old ti4200.

puTTs

My system in my sig can run 100mhz agp stable. I pick up maybe 2-3 fps in games and 40-60 3dmark03 points.

Ok.. Now leave the agp freq alone and run 3dmark 2-3 times.. You will notice that 3dmark scores can change up to 100 points or more at times even when things are configured exactly the same in your system.

I understand we are all overclockers and like to push things to the limit.. But if it doesnt gain you anything why bother pushing it so much ?

Now if you showed me that raising it from 66mhz to 100mhz gained you 600-800 points in a 3dmark then I could understand why you'd want to crank it..

I remember when I used to have an NF2 rig bumping up the AGP frequency a little helped with overall 3d stability sometimes.. But I never had the need to raise it so much and I also never gained actual points in 3dmark just from raising it..

Charlie22911.. I dont mean to derail your thread at all.. But im just curious why you guys raise it soo high.. Since from my experience it doesnt really improve performance by itself..

main reason i do it is for the PCI bandwith, since i flashed this doughnut of a MOBO with a LPB bios, i lost all my onboard (execpt super I/O and ide devices). as a result i replaced them all with pci cards and the extra speed helps with some sound problems i have (crackling). also i also gain about 90-120 points in 3dmark05 out of an average of 5 runs, so it does help (seems best mainly with geometry heavy gamesbenchies). other than that there is no reason :).

main reason i do it is for the PCI bandwith, since i flashed this doughnut of a MOBO with a LPB bios, i lost all my onboard (execpt super I/O and ide devices). as a result i replaced them all with pci cards and the extra speed helps with some sound problems i have (crackling). also i also gain about 90-120 points in 3dmark05 out of an average of 5 runs, so it does help (seems best mainly with geometry heavy gamesbenchies). other than that there is no reason :).

Ah ok.. I figured there was some reason for your madness.. hehe :shake:

I just didnt know why from my previous testing back in the day..

Then again I was kinda a noob back when I had my NF2..

haha, im still a noob, will be until i get better hardware.you know as tweakeroverclockers we are never satisfied, hence overclockingtweaking :D.

oh i forgot, there is one more reason i have it up there in speed like that, because i cant resist overclocking it :D.