Sign in to follow this  
PL4YD34D

just had the sickest idea .....

if you piped chilled water through your WC rads, would the air flowing through/over them come out cold???

can someone with a WC setup and some 120mm rads try it. take your block off whatever your using it on so there is no rapid temp change and add ice water in your reservoir then touch feel the air coming through the other side of your radiator. (obviously, dont run your CPU/GPU with no cooling!)

if its cold then i reckon we have an idea for extra case cooling in the hot season.

put a second water loop in, put the reservoir in a chiller outside the case (some modding for pipes would be necessary), no block in the loop, and place the radiator over an air intake. A/C for your case !!!

if it doesn't work, then its back to the drawing board but hey its worth a shot.

Yup I tried it already with some external rad I had sitting outside of my window in our cold NY winter. I didn’t have the internal rad hooked up on the air inlet but on the air outlet so the only thing beside my CPU and the GPU that got pretty cold was my butt while using that set up! I can assure you that it works. :shake:

Yup I tried it already with some external rad I had sitting outside of my window in our cold NY winter. I didn’t have the internal rad hooked up on the air inlet but on the air outlet so the only thing beside my CPU and the GPU that got pretty cold was my butt while using that set up! I can assure you that it works. :shake:

so you cooled the rad using cold water in the loop? and how much cooler was the air flowing over this rad?

Well on the coldest day when I used it (outside 16F) the water in the system was probably around (40F) which means I was freezing my butt off in the room since I had air of 40F blowing out of the rad into the room! That was with a FX55 at 2950MHz and two 6800GT’s at 430MHz and 1150MHz! :shake: Still got some pics of it! When I find them I post it! :shake:

you'll probably kill the miny chiller..........

well its a possibility but im only circulating water thru the loop thats coming into contact with air at room temperature. its not getting hot and its not spending a long time outside the chiller. besides - the chiller only costs like £20 lol. its a worthy cause if it lasts 6 to 8 months through summer.

Where I live I would have to have a pretty dam good chiller to be chilling the air through the Rad. We are not far from winter here and its still 25deg Celsius in the lounge room. (9:05pm)