Sign in to follow this  
red930

What multichannel sound card?

Guest Blooz1

I'll be curious about your comments also, Dan.

The recent flurry of posts about aound cards has made me realize how outdated the Chaintech AV-710 I'm using in my HTPC is! The Auzentech's seem to have a lot of nice features, and also get positive reactions in many reviews.

I have the Chaintech hooked up to my Onkyo/Axiom HT setup via optical, and, using ASIO drivers, it gives great performance. (The HTPC is used pretty much strictly for music, no gaming whatsoever.)

Guest Kobalt

What are you going to do with the cards you don't like? Return them? Don't they hit you with a restocking fee?

I think you should do a review of all those. Use the same games/music/whatever. :nod:

What are you going to do with the cards you don't like? Return them? Don't they hit you with a restocking fee?

I think you should do a review of all those. Use the same games/music/whatever. :nod:

Yeah I'm just gonna return them, getting a restocking fee doesn't bother me much as long as I get what I want in the end. Hell...maybe one or two will turn up defective and I'll have to return them anyways.

And yeah, thats the idea. I plan on doing a complete reinstall of windows each time just to be fair, and to give me something to do.

Really wish the weather would warm up a bit so I could start/finish building my sub...

Guest Kobalt
Yeah I'm just gonna return them, getting a restocking fee doesn't bother me much as long as I get what I want in the end. Hell...maybe one or two will turn up defective and I'll have to return them anyways.

And yeah, thats the idea. I plan on doing a complete reinstall of windows each time just to be fair, and to give me something to do.

Really wish the weather would warm up a bit so I could start/finish building my sub...

Dunno if you read my thread about S/PDIF, but it seems if you want to use S/PDIF output, then your only real choice is a card that does AC-3 encoding. And Creative cards don't do that.

So I am going to be looking for a decent soundcard now also. :rolleyes: All because Nvidia wanted to save a few bucks, and not have soundstorm available in NF4. :sad:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...485537#poststop

Well, I'll try out the line outputs as well...though I'd much prefer to let my receiver decode everything.

Looking at the card though there are only 3 outputs. One does the front speakers for sure, the other two somehow handle the center, rear, sub, and surround back speakers...so is there some crazy plug I need to get to use them? Because one plug must be center/sub like has been before, the other is probably surround which suggests whatever speaker/satellite combo you have makes its own surround back channels.

Spose I can also try out using DTS ES on my receiver as well, to see how well it simulates surround sound in games, just for crap and giggles.

Guest Kobalt
your onboard NF4 has excellent digital audio that will easily do 5.1 (it might even do 7.1 but I think that is only on the ALC882 that is on the Intel/ATI boards)

try the digital out on your current mobo's onboard first to see what you think

then try an Audigy2 ZS (I've purchased 2 retail Audigy2 ZS cards here in the forum for $30 each in the last 2 weeks alone...)

I'm sure there are better cards...but for me Audigy2 ZS cards are the best compromise for gaming, music, and price

Eh? How did you get this magic to perform ? Everything I read about NF3 & NF4 and most if not all creative sound cards is that if you use digital audio (ie, S/PDIF output) then you will ONLY get 2 channels max.

They need to encode the signal to AC-3 to be able to do true 5.1. (Something nforce 2 did)

technodanvan, if you use analog outputs from the cards, then you should have no issues. I am only talking about S/PDIF output, either coax, or the TOSLINK connections that they may have.

What receiver do you got anyway?

technodanvan, if you use analog outputs from the cards, then you should have no issues. I am only talking about S/PDIF output, either coax, or the TOSLINK connections that they may have.What receiver do you got anyway?

Harman Kardon AVR-7200

For multichannel I'm going to set up 5 Sony speakers, they're all the same kind. Don't recall the model number but I had to have them shipped from Japan because thats the only place they were sold, basically ES equivalent before Sony had a home ES speaker. Pair of 5" drivers and a tweeter in D'Appolito arrangement. Pretty damn good bass out of them considering what they are, but then they are big and heavy...Anyways, for my sub I've got a pair of Ascendant Audio Atlas 12" subs I'm building a box for, each with a seperate sealed enclosure around 1.5 cubic feet. Powering them with a Behringer EP2500 - 600 watts apiece into 4 ohm - and a feedback destroyer will be used as a crossover/equalizer of sorts.

Then for my music I'm using my home-built speakers powered by a Harman Kardon Citation 16 (70's era power amp, 200 watts into 8 ohm, beats me what it puts out at 4 ohms...)...might have that passed through the 7200 as a seperate source...not sure how well that'll work but It'd be nice to be able to play music from the satellite radio while playing a game...

All this in a 14x10 room should be fun. :D

I don't even know where to start...

First: I'll be following this thread because I need a good soundcard for my gaming rig. I also plan on using some audio software for testing home-built speakers, so it has to be good enough to do that as well. (Look up TrueRTA for kicks!)

Second: I just finished a set of home-built speakers that a friend of mine wanted to build. We went with a design similar to the Def-Tec's... di-pole/bi-pole with a powered sub. He picked out the drivers, and we went to town.

Ultimately, we have a M-T-M-MB up front, M-M in the rear, and a 12" sub on the side driven by a dedicated 250 watt sub amp. We have a 3-way crossover and a di-pole/bi-pole switch for the mids, and are now dealing with final tuning of the enclosures.

We will eventually add some L-pads and probably some additional resistors on those mids... they are just too over-powering at this point. (Not surprising, as they are rated at 88 dB... so four drivers would push this output to 94 dB or so... kinda hard for a single tweeter and a 7" MB to keep up.)

I'm also a big car-audio buff, so I'm no stranger to building sub enclosures. I'm running two DVC 15" subs in my Suburban with two Orion HCCA amps driving them in a ported enclosure... and a simple sealed design for a Kicker S10L7 driven by an Xtant 603 in my Vette.

Keep us up to date on your projects, and feel free to bounce some ideas around.

This place just keeps getting better and better... :cool:

Mark

Guest Kobalt
Harman Kardon AVR-7200

All this in a 14x10 room should be fun. :D

So, any results yet? :)

If any Aussies are interested, NinDeals are currently doing a bulk deal on the HDA X-Plosion 7.1 DTS card. Comes out at $149, which is a bit of a saving. It has reached its 100 person Expression of Interest and now the payment gateway is open, if you are in the market its a good opportunity to snap one up :) Link is in my sig.

Sign in to follow this