Half-life 2 Delayed Again

GolDfiNger

I realize that now. I didnt see it cause when i hit add reply it doesnt say the whole title in the upper left corner of reply box it just says " Replying to Half-life 2 Delayed Again" Thus i didnt see the whole soruce code thing. Anyway, consider this my apoligy, rant on! :D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to know why the network was open to the internet. Why was it not on a closed network. And don't thesepeople have firewalls or virus scanners. i know they are not perfect, but man, just put the source code on a server that h as NO access whatsoever to the outside internet and only work on it inside their facility. But hey, people are stupid. Anywho, about cheating, who cares about cheating, people will cheat no matter what. When a cheat comes about, a patch is written, simple as taht. Now, selling the source code, that is somethign different. Wonder what stopped this 'hacker' from stealing all of the code.

Well I agree that that server shouldn't of been on the internet. But someone didn't hack/crack into the server.

They sent an email and probably the guy thought it was a friend. That opened a keylogger. That key logger logged the user names and passwords. Thus gaining access to the server which had the source code on.

This guy will break every patch. He sees where it's wrong, he figures out what they fix etc. Yes, there is nothing stopping him from selling it. Hell, a week or so ago about half the school had a game that didn't come out for like 8 days. It was sold for 8 bucks. Friend of mine had a copy and was trying to sell it.

Now, if he sold this, he could really hurt this game.

Well I agree that that server shouldn't of been on the internet. But someone didn't hack/crack into the server.

They sent an email and probably the guy thought it was a friend. That opened a keylogger. That key logger logged the user names and passwords. Thus gaining access to the server which had the source code on.

This guy will break every patch. He sees where it's wrong, he figures out what they fix etc. Yes, there is nothing stopping him from selling it. Hell, a week or so ago about half the school had a game that didn't come out for like 8 days. It was sold for 8 bucks. Friend of mine had a copy and was trying to sell it.

Now, if he sold this, he could really hurt this game.

its fairly easy to get games serveral days before they come out, stores get the game before the offical release date in order to stock shelves and ship preorders. someone who works at such a place "borrowes" it rips the cd and distributes it over the internet. nothing new.

the way i see this valve is completely to blame. companies face electronic attacks all the time. they should know that the sequal to half life one of the most popular games ever would be a huge target and take the appriate security measures.

eventially they thought they had their butts covered and didn't. hopefully they learn from their mistakes. several articals i've read make valve to be some sort of victem. like a old lady who gives her credit card number a way to a telemarketer. they knew people would try this sort of thing, and should have prepared better.