Sign in to follow this  
ZACHOW3

Dual 7900gtx Cards

Screw it. I just ordered the 1KW Pc P&c Dual SLI compatible. I think it will power my system. Hopefully. I'll let everyone know how it is.

--EJM

So forgive me if im wrong but if I understand correctly I shouldnt have gone with a PSU with split 12V rails. What specific PSU would power my system. Ive seen the list provided earllier in this thread and guess I didnt do my research very well as I havent even heard of many of these PSU brands before. Am I than looking for a good single 12V rail PSU to power everything. Still somewhat confused.

Unfortunately in hind sight that is correct on split 12V rail PS that is truely compliant with the ATX2.0/2.1 spec. Up through the 7800-256 and x1800xt in SLI's and CrossFire setups you were usually OK...but just barely. A modded pair of either one of those will almost always take a purely compliant ATX2.0/2.1 down too.

Don't beat yourself with "I didn't do my research" as you had no way to know the built in flaw in the spec. It was developed long before the high end, power hungry GFX cards of today were even dreamed about let alone two of the suckers running at the same time!!!

The Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 will do ya and not break the piggy bank ($118 @ New Egg and can be had for less than $100 if ya look around) if you can find one. While it is only a 550w supply it has three 12V rails with the PCIe connectors on 12V3. Getting those off the 12V1 gets the current draw down on it and keeps the PS from going into current limit on the 12V output when that split (12V1) goes to high like it will on a PS with just two splits. It is simply a matter of how the available power is distributed. The actual max total 12v power available of all three 12V splits combined is 504 watts (42amps), which is damn good for a 100 bucks. The max of on any given 12V split is 18 amps.

It will also handle a pair of x1900xtx cards in a Crossfire if stock but not modded. The only PS that can feed a pair of modded x1900's without whining/crying is the PC P&C 1kw PS.

Viper

Screw it. I just ordered the 1KW Pc P&c Dual SLI compatible. I think it will power my system. Hopefully. I'll let everyone know how it is.

--EJM

Yeah you are fairly future proofed there.

Viper

I'm running 2 7900gtx with my enermax liberty 620 with no problems. Give this one a try, and the price is also good.

I have an aspire 520, and I love it. I would have gone with the aspire 680.

lol that 1kw doesn't have too many amps........

Who cares! 1 KW!!!!