FF memory leak - some easy fixes

KimTjik

I've tested this option now for some time and works very well. It's like you're fooling the program, because after you've minimized the windows you simply pick it up again, but now it will slowly increase in memory from about 1/10th of what it was to max a half of it.

So with the tweaks made I've got about 10 tabs not going over 40 000 K, which I think is pretty good.

Thanks man this has helped. I'm at 56 k instead of over 100 to 200 k. I'm curious how high will it go? I mean that would really suck if i was browsing the net for a long time.

SO this is normal then right? I mean it's suppose to eat that much memory? I had firefox for about a few months now and I never noticed this before. I dont nkow if it's the extensions I added on to firefox and I have about 11 tabs set up on my browers or what.

At first I thought I had some bug or virus. I use spydoctor 4.0 so I shouldn't have any spyware.

Thanks for the tip again. Hey if you find anymore tweak pm me plz. Thanks again.

Yeah nice post ;).

I did'nt have to make any new settings though :.

browser.cache.memory.capacity

Was 0

What do the values mean btw?

Does 15000 = 15megs allmost?

15000 / 1024...?

I'm all for letting it have more then if that is the case, but I'll wait on the opinion of others on what the values mean 1st.

(EDIT: )

That's what I'm gonna use for now.

I'm betting this is the amount of memory used for cache.

Funny though, I used to have this set to 16-32 before, I dn remember exactly.

It must of got setup to 0 when I moved to ver 1 or whatever, whenever the config dialogs changed.

I've been using firefox since it was alpha I belive, 0.7 or 0.6, whatever I can't remember.

Been using the same config since, updating it from time to time, etc.

browser.cache.memory.enable

Was set to true allready

config.trim_on_minimize

Was set to false.

Sounds good though, on true, if it saves the cache to the drive when minamizing, shoot, maybe we can actually save the cache before it exits, in those cases...

Instability cases.

(Edit: )

Err, then again...

When it does exit like that by iot's self, it does'nt allow it's self to read the cache, it allways reloads it completely ^^.

So this setting on true is probably worthless I'm afraid.

I'm setting it back on false now that I think about it.

I have had some huge probs with adobe acrobat and firefox intergration.

I'd much rather open it out of firefox and all...

That way it don't hard lock firefox.

I freakin hate that when it happens...

Messes up windows hardcore, especially on 2k.

This may help what the numbers mean.

3. Click OK. Another dialog prompt will appear. This is where you decide how much memory to allocate to Firefox. This depends on how much RAM your computer has, but generally you don't want to allocate too little (under 8MB), but if you allocate too much, you might as well not do this. A good recommended setting is 16MB. If you want 16MB, enter this value into the dialog prompt:

(Why 16384 instead of 16000? Because computers use base-12 counting. Thus 16 megabytes = 16384 bytes. Likewise, if you want to double that and allocate 32MB, you'd enter 32768.)

• 5 weeks later...

I've had my firefox process running for as long as my current uptime, 6d18h, just minimizing it and starting new tabs for everything. Newest version,

Currently task manager says 304k mem usage, and 491k virtual. And this is with the above tweaks, except the 'config.trim_on_minimize'. Does this seem like an accurate usage? Granted, I have 2x1024mb, and it's like parking a Yacht for naval repairs in Norfolk, but its by far the most i've had one program use (aside from games that is :P )

Even with the above 'browser.cache.memory.capacity' set to 65536, it is still huge. And speaking of which, I wasn't aware that computers use base 12...

untitled-1.jpg