Sign in to follow this  
UncleDavid218

**EVGA 7900GT Issues.. continued**

So as you may (or may not) know, I have been having some problems with my EVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked. I have a Zalman VF900CU installed with AS5 load temperatures at 55c. This card plays COD2, CS:S, HL:2, and Need For Speed Most Wanted for hours on end. I have ATITool and the "scan for artifacts" ran for two hours without incident. However, when I play F.E.A.R., everything looks good on screen, but when I quit or CTRL+ALT+DEL out, the screen flickers. As in, it only flickers when I click the mouse. The same thing happens (sometimes) in 3DMark03. The flickering never seems to go away, but there are no artifacts. Returning the card to reference speeds does nothing, nor does returning the system itself to default speeds. (This thing is 48 hours Prime and Memtest stable)

So my conclusion is that the PSU is to blame. It's not recommended, and I know that, but it would seem like it should be able to run a single core, single hard drive, single optical drive, and single video card machine. So before I spend $160 on a 600w GamerXStream, would you conclud that power is in fact the problem?

All drivers are the latest from NVIDIA.

Well, your power supply is minimum for your motherboard and the rest of your hardware. Have you tried uninstalling ATI TOOL and just using the CoolBit utility? Which F.E.A.R version are you running right now, have you tried updating it since there has been newer updates for that game? Let me know...

The flickering might be the 3D to 2D clock switches that could indicate PSU issue. So only in F.E.A.R you try existing out or CTR+ALT+DEL with flickering? Which other games are you running? Which settings are you using in F.E.A.R?

Max settings, no soft shadows, 4x AA, 8x AF, 1024x768

I only game >60FPS

So on average that gets me about 65FPS

That's the only game that it happens to. Others do it without issue.

Have you tried running the game with no AA/AF for testing? If it doesn't do it with no AA/AF then your PSU is the issue since AA/AF being on drains power like crazy....

OK well I tried to run 3DMark03 without ATITool -- no go.

So next I will test the card at a local shop.

I agree and think it is the PSU. If anything, this gives me good reason to get a nice @55 PSU.

It might not have anything to do with your cards but I just spent the last month trying to get my EVGA 7900 gtx's working. Im on my third set and they work great for now.

Good Luck!

---EJM

You might want to contact Evga and let them know whats happening. If you look at Evga's forum you will see that there are quite a few people having problems with the SC and OC cards. When you contact Evga they will want to know the bios that is in the card, that is on the little sticker on the bootom of the card. Thier customer support is outstanding, they will get you fixed........

So as you may (or may not) know, I have been having some problems with my EVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked. I have a Zalman VF900CU installed with AS5 load temperatures at 55c. This card plays COD2, CS:S, HL:2, and Need For Speed Most Wanted for hours on end. I have ATITool and the "scan for artifacts" ran for two hours without incident. However, when I play F.E.A.R., everything looks good on screen, but when I quit or CTRL+ALT+DEL out, the screen flickers. As in, it only flickers when I click the mouse. The same thing happens (sometimes) in 3DMark03. The flickering never seems to go away, but there are no artifacts. Returning the card to reference speeds does nothing, nor does returning the system itself to default speeds. (This thing is 48 hours Prime and Memtest stable)

So my conclusion is that the PSU is to blame. It's not recommended, and I know that, but it would seem like it should be able to run a single core, single hard drive, single optical drive, and single video card machine. So before I spend $160 on a 600w GamerXStream, would you conclud that power is in fact the problem?

All drivers are the latest from NVIDIA.

RMA it! I had my card for 3 short days. I ran 3dmark and BF2 numerous times in the first 2 days. I Alt+Tab alot! Worked perfect for 2 days and on the 3rd the flickering started. It would run 3d no problem, but as soon as I would alt+tab the screen would start flickering like crazy. It was like it had gotten stuck between 3d and 2d. After fresh window formats and driver installs it did the same thing so I rma'd it.

Guest YuKoN

Once not thinking- I unplugged my card(same as yours) with machine off but power supply still on, and on reboot I got a message that said insufficient power available. another place to check is your NV log- there'll be something like "insufficient power, switching to silent mode". If power is indeed the issue, then there should be something in one of those logs. can't remember if it's debug folder, or something like that.

On a different note- have you tried the switching frequency pencil mod? I noticed that it helps me Alt-Tab a lot quicker. There's one little resistor, labeled K in the photo, and with a few strokes of the pencil is said to solve many peoples problems.

voltmod23ue.jpg

"This resistor measures ca 80Kohm, and sets the switching frequency.

Connecting a 100Kohm resistor in parallel, almost doubles the switching frequency, and solved my problems completely.

You could eventually do this mod by pencil, try to get the value down to approx. 45Kohm" -photo and info taken from xtremesystems

Don't know if this'll help you at all. Some cards made with last 4 digits of serial# less than 1000 have major issues that can't be helped. I know you have the same bios as mine- so that's probably not the case in your situation. I'm thinking you just got a lemon- the easy mod might do the trick, if it doesn't then just RMA.