Sign in to follow this  
Cheesewheel

How is this for a fan grate?

See attached since I don't have access to image storage at the moment.

It's for a fan I'm putting on my side panel for intake. The grate would be cut directly into the side panel. Of course it isn't anything fancy, but would it be effective? I'd like to have a bit of myself in this box :)

Any other design suggestions? Thanks :D

Guest Blooz1

Too much surface area.

It looks like the stock Lian-Li fan grills, which block a lot of air and also cause a lot of noise.

I use one of these;

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/ff120-blk.html

Good clean air flow and it does a great job of filtering. I clean mine about once a week with an old toothbrush. (it can be removed for washing, but I'm too lazy!)

I wouldn't do that if i were you, get a drimmel and just cut a perfect circle for a 120mm high speed fan and slap on a fan grill. I have done this in experience and actually didn't use anything at all to secure the fan (Grills, ect.) The better the air flow the more air will circulate in your case then restricting it. Do whatever you want, but don't do that...hehe

Guest Blooz1

BTW, a CD makes a perfect template for a 120MM fan hole - you can use a 120MM wire grill for the mounting hole spacing!

Guest Blooz1

Well, I learned that one from MNPCtech, Kandoo! Of course, you can use the outside of the 120MM fan grill also, but you'll have the small gaps where the support wires cross.

Here's a REAL good one! When you get the hole cut, do you want the edges to look professional? Use "C" shaped rubber moulding! Go to:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Enter item #8510K11 in the search box. This will bring up the right page with the moulding highlighted (Shape #12). It's only $.19/ft for a full roll (10/25/50/100 ft.) or $.23 for partial roll - I've seen this sold by modding sites for $2.00 a foot!

You'll need:

120MM hole = 14.5"

92MM hole = 11.25"

80MM hole = 9.5"

Just clean up the cut edges with a Dremel or file, then this moulding fits easily over it. It's a nice touch, and if the fan is tightened down enough, it'll also help quiet vibrations.

i tend to cut the stupid grills off my cases and just screw on a standard wire fan grill. god i hate companys who put fan housings on the front of cases, but dont put vents in the front bezel, or they just put 5197594 tiny holes... yeah that doesnt work

Fan grills are over rated, i dont even use them anymore, i must have 3-4 dozen various ones collecting dust. All they are is bling that cuts down on air flow and creates more noise. Of course they save your fingers sometimes too :D

yeah if you have a 32 CFM fan then you also want 32CFM airflow, as stated before cut out the entire hole and just use a wire frame fan grill.

Cut off all your grills and even any built-in grill on your case. You should be able to put your fist through the hole, and then mount your fan with no grill attached to it either. If you don't have bare fins spinning with zero obstruction, you're not optimized.

It's quieter too. Turbulence caused by the air moving through the grill goes away, and it's slightly noticable. Yes it will hit your fingers but come on, their plastic, you could jam your pinky right in there - it's not going to slice it off.

This might sound like a joke but it's not.

Note that if you do this on the intake, you will get a LOT more dust in your system and have to blow it out more often. This is key since dust accumulating on the heatsink and other parts will heat it more more than cutting off the grills helped in the first place.

I recently replaced my VGA card and hadn't blown anything out in a while. The fan was so caked in dirt that air couldn't have possibly went anywhere.