Sign in to follow this  
Steken

Unique windows install problem?

One more thing... when i start up the system it says among other things:

Memory controller............ N/A

What does that mean? Can the CPU not communicate with the memory or...??

Thanks again!! I never dreamed of such helpful people!

So here's what you do. When it asks you to restart, don't boot from the CD! Let it to boot regularly from the HD. To do that, go into your BIOS and change the boot order.

This is exactly what I had to do. It appears to me that DFI needs to make some changes so this isn't necessary. Having to change the BIOS in the middle of an install shouldn't be necessary; but it is!

That routine you said you have to follow wasn't necessary on the 3 DFI boards i have worked with but it will probably work. I think that after it installs on the HD chosen it reads the blank one and attempts to go to that one. You should just try leaving only the HD ur going to use installed and then after ur installations is complete reinstall the other drives.

If the error is not the assignment of CD-rom being the boot drive, then it appears the system files are not being copied to the harddrive correctly. If the harddisk was used for a previous computer I would recommend Fdisk Utility to clear any registry and formatting options. Make sure your drive is formated in NTFS for the most up to date security features. This will make the drive function like new whereas a format alone will not.

Assuming the bios drive assignment is not the problem, has anybody experienced system files not installing correctly to a hard drive?

Steken, are both HDD's IDE? If you only have one IDE HDD, and your going to use it for the OS then you have to remove the jumper. (no master jumper) If you have the jumper on it will only load from the drive if you have your CD in. I went through the same thing, it would load the OS ok but when it would restart-nothing!! I had 1 IDE installed only at the time. when I removed the jumper-bingo startup.

1. what formatting option did you choose in the winxp insallt menu (ntfs/fat quick/full)?

2. you say that the installation begins again after the setup copied the files right (where the 15sec-timer comes)? cause that would be the point where the 1st reboot is needed.

and after that, where EXACTLY does the "installation" (actually the installation itself didnt really start at this point) start again? which screen do you see after the POST and the raid-check?

i think this hasnt really been clear yet =)

1. what formatting option did you choose in the winxp insallt menu (ntfs/fat quick/full)?

2. you say that the installation begins again after the setup copied the files right (where the 15sec-timer comes)? cause that would be the point where the 1st reboot is needed.

and after that, where EXACTLY does the "installation" (actually the installation itself didnt really start at this point) start again? which screen do you see after the POST and the raid-check?

i think this hasnt really been clear yet =)

I have now tried switching the jumpers on the HDD to a number of different configuration, i even tried installing with no jumpers at all. If I switch so the RAM is in the module closest to the CPU it wont boot at all :)

When formatting I choose NTFS fast, I tried full also but no good :(

I´m not sure about this thing called boot order, are there any screenshots you guys have so I can see. I have tried to change it the best I could it BIOS, eaving HDD only as boot option, It still boots from CD though.

I have only one IDE, one CD-rom, videocard and keyboard(I only have ps2 keyboard..) installed right now.

After the RAID check, a screen appears that tells me the name of the master and slave HDD and CDrom, I only have one of each.

Also on the screen it tells me that S.M.A.R.T HDD is disabled and then there is a list of PCIdevices, no.1 on that list says memory controller is N/A

The rest is stuff like USB...

at the bottom, it says that CMOS has been updated correctly!

Boot from CD

then it reads the cdrom and copies to the instllationfolders, reboots and it repeats.

I´m unsure about my memory being ok(it´s a budget brand).. but I do not know about what BOOT order is and how to change it in the BIOS, does anyone have a screenshot?

I really appreciate all help guys! Beer is on me when this is settled :D

How is it btw possible to go in the BIOS after the reboot? should I do as I normally would? or would that make everything on the HDD go blank again? As in, can I go in to the BIOS and change boot order precisely after the reboot?

at the bottom, it says that CMOS has been updated correctly!

Boot from CD

then it reads the cdrom and copies to the instllationfolders, reboots and it repeats.

it might be only me, but i think there is some general misunderstanding:

you say "then it reads the cdrom and copies to the instllationfolders, reboots and it repeats." -> but this only happens when you press a key at the point where it says "Boot from CD" - but what do you really do? do you press a key or what? sorry if i overlooked something you said previously, but i really dont know if i get you right as i went through this installation procedure myself a 1000 times or so =)

it might be only me, but i think there is some general misunderstanding:

you say "then it reads the cdrom and copies to the instllationfolders, reboots and it repeats." -> but this only happens when you press a key at the point where it says "Boot from CD" - but what do you really do? do you press a key or what? sorry if i overlooked something you said previously, but i really dont know if i get you right as i went through this installation procedure myself a 1000 times or so =)

Wen it gets to the countdown, 15 secs, I usually just press enter and that should be ok right? Even if I let the timer go down, not pressing anything. Still, it reboots, a screen stating the videocards specs shows for a few seconds, then the LANPARTY nf4 logo appears, then the BIOS version + RAID controller screen(it asks if I want to install RAID), then comes the screen with HDD S.M.A.R.T disabled + pci devices list and at the bottom the text that says CMOS has been updated correct and at the very bottom "boot from CD".

Can i shut down the CD on the second run in the BIOS? How do I change(in BIOS) so that ir reads only from HDD? Can I do that between the first phase of installation and the secon(when it reboots after copying)?

I checked my RAM... Its ok, tested for 2.5h

2.5 4 4 7 is the timings

Could it perhaps be the memory despite all this? can I get a decent module for lets say... 140$?

thanks again guys!!