First DFI Build... I have 4 mobo lights but CPU is good...

You guys are really falling behind on power supply recommends as the newer video cards now are coming off the shelves and users install them.

This recommend by technodanvan is a recommendation that 'keeps' the user out of trouble. My actual recommendation (disregarding your price limit) would be the 700 watt Fortron.

The newer 7900 Nivida series and the x1900 series will often knock a 520 power stream to its' knees. The 600watt OCZ ADJ will shut off completely when runing 2nd test of 3D03 and 3D05 with 512Mb cards in SLi. Been there and done it time after time.

Now running this OCZ supply with no issues at all. http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...ory_Code=ps-ocz

Times are changing and the first thing that comes on when you boot is the power supply. When you skimp or disregard that in todays computer environment; it is useless to expect the rest of the high dollar parts to function. Plainly if power is crap then all else will give troubles as well and sorting weak, dirty power is one troubleshooting trip you do not want to take. Power affects anything else down the line from the time you push the 'power' button.

There are a few forums out there that can and do intelligently discuss power supplies and they each are pointing to clean, high power for the systems coming. And you just wait until the new breed of Intels come and start kicking around your 939 systems and you decide to move to some of the new loving and the power supplies skimped on today are knocked on their @sses by the current draws of the new breed just around the corner and you have to holler, "oh my I have to buy a power supply every 3 months".

It is coming and if you buy cheap, weak, dirty supplies today, you will be in the power supply market again in a few months.

RGone...

Yeah I've done a lot of reading now and you guys are definitely right. I guess my buddy will be getting his PSU back and I'll probably get that Fortron 700w, that way the SLI and overclocking (the overclocking being my logic behind the opty 165 in the first place) plus the possible phase-change or at least liquid cooling in the next few months will actually work. I think 2 7900's and a phase change rig would probably be a *little* much for my weenie PSU. On the plus side, it would probably be a decent upgrade to my little brother's Prescott 478 rig, as he hasn't gotten a PCI-E card yet b/c his 380w stock PSU isn't quite cutting it. Thanks for your help, this forum is great. I'll definitely stick around.

Alright, per your advice I think I want this fortron 700w... the only thing is that I read on another part of this forum that you HAVE to have a native 24-pin connector for it to work, it's specific to that effect (and a little angry at that.) This one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817104015 has all the connectors, but I just need to make sure that the "20+4 pin" denotation will definitely work. I already have to ship one back... unless this is the wrong psu... lemme know!

The only type of 24 pin you will find is 20+4. These are made to be backwards compatable with the 20pin atx boards. This is the type you want to look for it means that it is native if it is connected to the psu. What your NOT supposed to use is a 20 pin psu with a 20 to 24 pin adaptor. So to make it simple 20+4=good 20+20 to 24pin convertor=bad.

shmoe,

you're fine with the fortron 700w. the 20+4 pin designation is a native 24-pin plug that is backward compatible to 20-pin motherboards by seperating the 4-pin from the plug harness. no worries. you're good to go. the important part of native 24-pin plug is actually inside the power supply itself.