First DFI Build... I have 4 mobo lights but CPU is good...

I just purchased a DFI board for the first time, and I like it a lot more than the ASUS and Gigabyte boards I've been using for a while now... problem is, all the components are good, but even with peripherals off the it won't POST. I just have 4 status lights, which the mobo manual indicates that I have a CPU problem... but I don't. Now I've read that not having all 4 plugs in can cause this problem too, but do I need the 24-pin AND the 4-pin 12v? Seems a little strange, and for some reason my PSU doesn't have a 4-pin 12V connector. Probably because it's cheap. Anyway, if you guys have any fixes, lemme know. It would be much appreciated.

Guest caffeinejunkie

yes you def need the 24 pin and the 4pin you also need the molex and floppy connector plugged in aswell or it wont boot or run properly

since you say everythign works then im sure thats the issue

Any recommendations? I mean the one I have says it's SLI/SATA certified, I got it from a friend... oh and do they make an adapter to turn a molex flat 4-pin into the square one I need to post?

well replacing the psu is definitely cheaper than reexamining my other choices... pisses me off that the damn thing doesn't even have the p4 connector on it anywhere. though i guess nothing in life is free :-P

Yeap it's the damn PSU... it has the "20+4" main connector... lame. Oh well... opinions on the best SLI PSU I can get for under $100?

Fortron has a 500 watt offering in that range which would probably work fine.

Though you could get a powerstream for around 40 bucks more....

But you really need to think about this - you're willing to spend top dollar for a pair of powerful graphics cards, yet you are limited to $100 for a PSU?

You need to give top components top power man, for an Sli system I'd never get anything less than any PC P&C, or a 600+ watt offering from another good company like OCZ or Fortron.

My actual recommendation (disregarding your price limit) would be the 700 watt Fortron.

i have to agree with the above poster, however, you can get a 520 watt OCZ Powerstream/SLI ready and approved PS for around $120. it has everything you need..........

cheaping out on parts now a days with all the high powered stuff in da box is a krap shoot, much like expecting some cheap asz heatsink to take you to overclockers nirvana.....

you will learn there are some areas inside the box that just can't be skimped on, especially with overclocking in mind...why, cause if you cheap out on certain parts, you will never know what MAY be holding you back.................

baldy

Yeap it's the damn PSU... it has the "20+4" main connector... lame. Oh well... opinions on the best SLI PSU I can get for under $100?

Thats what a normal 24pin conector is they are always going to be 20+4 pins if they are 24 pin. This way they are backwards compatible with 20pin atx boards.

If this is the psu you have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...TC-Sm4rterDe4ls

then your psu should still have all the connectors you need and should still work for minuim boots but I wouldnt oc with this thing.'

this psu would be the best for the money I think

http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3143

the hiper type is nice if you want to "bling bling all the way to sing sing"

http://www.xoxide.com/hiperpsu.html?gclid=...CFSUxSAodwiV44A