Hey Red....

howie b

rivals? I have 4 servers at home (the other 40 I own are at a small shop for business stuff so they don't count), and each of them is equipped with 12 500gb drives. lets see that's 6tb each system, 24 total. so 1.7 isn't a big deal to me personally. sorry

Woah there tiger...i was just teasing you. I saw one of your posts talking about what you had before, and I was on ebay trying to get a rough estimate as to how much all that would cost. This was the largest bundle I could find so i thought I'd post it for kicks. Boy was I wrong....geez.

:angry:

With the wonderful world of digital media, and Kazaa lite to feed all our urges, i can see how space can fill quickly, but it would take quite some time for even me (the lover of all movies, music, and games....good, bad, or otherwise) to fill up 4 Terabyte!! I mean, that is enormous!! Organization of files on a terabyte (assuming that there is NOTHING under 700-800 MB) would be horrendous! I can't imagine....okay, i can, and it is wonderful...

Ahh...gotta love that Terabyte happiness :D

*Added*

BTW, this may sound like a n00bish question, but i really know very little about storage media....With these more massive drives (300-500GB) will we see an access time degredation? I mean, pure logic would assume that at a continuous seek rate, as the size of these drives doubles, the amount of space that would have to be covered searching for a file would as well. Im sure there is a simple answer to this, but once again....I am a storage N00b.

Thanx

Edited by howie b

one of 2 reasons maxtor bought out quantum. quantum's atlas drives are designed to run nonstop for a LONG time. the other reason maxtor bought them was speed. the new 500gb drives are running 10k on the ata133 bus... not to shabby with an 8mb cache

These drives were customer returns. They may or may not be working. We are selling the drives AS-IS untested as it is not worth our time to test each drive. Please bid accordingly and assume the worst case scenario

man that sounds like a cop out to me, unless you got all those drives at the same time, why whould just plug them in and see if they were working/the cutomers probably gave a reason why they were returned.

knowing my luck of recent i would get 1.7 TB of dead drives in the mail. 520gb is enough for me to get at one time...more then enough really

any computer store that's worthwhile has the hdd testing kits. maxtor and wd sent them out to cut down on the number of returned drives to them that worked just fine. plug in the ide and power cables, press the button, wait 10 seconds, and it says "good" or "bad" with a code to say what exactly is bad. these kits work on all makes and models of drives just fine, and cost roughtly $100... of course it's better than the compusa average of 82 drives a month going back to mfgr PER store (which dropped by 75% when the kits started going into service)

besides those are WD's... good chance they really are bad. and if they're OEM, don't ask WD for RMA

Edited by bigred