Sign in to follow this  
n33b

Possible Hard Drive issues, please help.

Alright, well I built my first DFI based system about two weeks ago. Everything was going fine until today... I turned on my PC and saw one LED on. My PC would not go past the DFI splash screen. I tried switching the RAM slots , but nothing worked. Later on, I tried an sata hard drive from another one of my systems. I put it in, and turned my PC on, and it got passed the splash screen and got into windows. I then turned my PC off, and switched my hard drive back then turned my PC on. It still wouldn't go passed the splash screen. After that, I got some advice from someone on the forums that using the SATA 3 port on my motherboard would work. I plugged the SATA cable into the SATA3 port and my PC booted. I got into windows, but after about 30 minutes, I crashed. My keyboard locked up, my cursor wouldn't moving, nothing. So, I restarted my PC only to see that it was stuck on the splash screen again.

Please help me out,

what can I do to fix this problem?

Is my hard drive dead? And also, the hard drive that I used from my other system works on the DFI board on any SATA port, the main hard drive I use for this system now only usually works in the SATA 3 port.

All the power cables are plugged in, I don't see what the problem could be and why it only boots sometimes after repeadly switching the SATA ports.

Thanks in advance.

Guest nibs

If you can get it to boot you should try Tmod's BIOS CD, it has the SeaTools by Seagate in the Disk Utilities menu. That should read the SMART values from your hd and allow you to do some basic hd testing, so you can know if it is actually a hd problem. Tmod's CD can be found in this post http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...=Tmod+bios+disk