computer will always freeze at first cold boot

Like the title says if the computer is cold it will freeze either at the splash screen or once it gets into windows. when i reset after that everythign is fine. I have tried 2 different bioses

You need to adjust your ram settings. I had this same problem and have marginally improved the problem by upping the voltage and adjusting the timings.

You MUST set your timings manually.

Out of curiosity, what diagnostic code are you sticking on. Mine was 50. I suspect yours is the same.

My computer does the same ever since I changed over from a Seasonic S12 600w to Tagan 900w supply. The problem is with the start up loading of the rails, I think the board pulls more than the 2.5amps some of the newer psu's are designed for, causing the supply to freeze for a while while the protection tries to kick in.

Amazingly pressing the reset button after the freeze, the system works fine.

I did not have the problem with the Seasonic as it was a revised version (A2).

Same thing happens to me!! I've fubared a bios chip because the damn thing froze in the middle of a bios udpate. After a warm reset the damn board does not seem to freeze.

Same here, don't think ram timings have anything to do with it personally in my case.

Power supply ? Could be,but booting goes fine, only when windows is loading it freezes, and not always.

Press reset and all is good again, i don't even notice it anymore really.

Antec neo 480 and latest finished bios

You need to adjust your ram settings. I had this same problem and have marginally improved the problem by upping the voltage and adjusting the timings.

You MUST set your timings manually.

Out of curiosity, what diagnostic code are you sticking on. Mine was 50. I suspect yours is the same.

I really doubt that this is a problem with my ram timings the memory is perfectly stable ive testing it through and through. Are you guys that are having the same problem runnign both nics?

I have a hunch it's the power supply as I did not have the issue with my previous psu. It's osmething to do with the cold start current draw, I think it demands too much from the psu. I always have to press the reset button. I never had that issue with the Seasonic, however that was too underpowered to run my sytem under heavy load, but it never tripped up from cold boot. The 900w Tagan does, I have to wait 20mins after switching off before I can repower the pc, if I switch on too soon the power supply does nothing.

I loose all my bio settings, because bios resets itself, then I use cmos reloaded to start afresh.

Raja

Yep too low voltage and ram timing could do this.

The other time I had odd occasional freezing and rebooting was when I first updated to the 417 BIOS. I didn't clear my CMOS and I left custom saves in CMOS reloaded.

Other odd things I have found is that even with when switching OS; I have to blank my custom CMOS reloaded banks, install with CMOS defaults and do a secure full format of my drive, otherwise it will crash during install, or start behaving oddly after install. This may be particular to MCE 2005 though because I remember folks warning others to not upgrade and to do a full format when installing.

I got it figured out now. I switched to XP SP-2 and my San diego 3700 to test them and now have went back to MCE 2005 and my dual core 4400+ without a problem.

On a side note, this little 510 SLi PSU is the best money I ever spent. Helps OCs and can actually push everything you see in my sig perfectly stable.

Yep too low voltage and ram timing could do this.

The other time I had odd occasional freezing and rebooting was when I first updated to the 417 BIOS. I didn't clear my CMOS and I left custom saves in CMOS reloaded.

Other odd things I have found is that even with when switching OS; I have to blank my custom CMOS reloaded banks, install with CMOS defaults and do a secure full format of my drive, otherwise it will crash during install, or start behaving oddly after install. This may be particular to MCE 2005 though because I remember folks warning others to not upgrade and to do a full format when installing.

I got it figured out now. I switched to XP SP-2 and my San diego 3700 to test them and now have went back to MCE 2005 and my dual core 4400+ without a problem.

On a side note, this little 510 SLi PSU is the best money I ever spent. Helps OCs and can actually push everything you see in my sig perfectly stable.

I didnt have this problem on my ultra-d with the exact same hardware

I didnt have this problem on my ultra-d with the exact same hardware

Well I hope you get it figured out.

All I can tell you since correctly flashing the 417 BIOS I have had the following perfectly stable; two different CPUs,>3700+ San Diego(up to 2.9 GHz), X2 4400+(2.85GHz), two different operating systems, >Win XP SP-2, MCE 2005, and tried four different sets of memory, >Crucial Ballistix PC 3200, OCZ 2GB PE 3200, G. Skill HZ PC4000, and Corsair Value Select :P

Again I know it's frustrating when you have issues, and I have had my share in the past too.

Good luck

I really doubt that this is a problem with my ram timings the memory is perfectly stable ive testing it through and through. Are you guys that are having the same problem runnign both nics?

I am running both NICs. Disabling one had no effect. I am telling you it is a memory problem.

I can also confirm it is definately not a PSU problem as i am using the uncontested best power supply in the industry.

Mem Mem Mem. It's not that the memory isn't stable when it runs, but there is an error when initializing the RAM.

So until DFI gets their head out of their butts and gives us definitions of the diagnotic codes, all we can do is compare setups and use the process of elimination.

my board does the complete opposite of whats happening to you guys, it sometimes freezes up during a warm reboot, and it always boots fine on cold boot. this board is just possesed, it hates my ram with a passion. i pass sp2004, and it blue screens while browsing... i think the bios is still very buggy.