The [not so] Unique DFI Experience.

lol

I can tell you

as the most experienced DFI dude here...

DFI Lanparty boards are definitely not plug-n-play

a lot of you might get plug-n-play and no problems, and thats a heck of a good thing cuz I'd have to start killing people and hiding bodies to bring the number of support tickets down

but

most of the time...as you all well know, DFI boards in the Lanparty line are NOT plug-n-play, more of a

plug-n-pray-then-get-really-pissed-and-come-to-the-forums-

threatening-lawsuits-and-calling-Angry_Games-a-jerk-for-telling-me-to-READ-THE-DAMN-RULES experience....

thats why I started this forum...there's no way DFI's official tech support would even come close to having an understanding of what the boards they are building are really all about nor could they possibly fathom exactly what type of users were buying these boards

Corp monkeys just don't get it...yet tweaker monkies like us get it...and get it often...and often have to take it right up the rear lol

Hehe, yeah I got the treatment also. But I'm getting out the towel and drying off the ol' wet-behind-the-ears look. BYOC is cool in itself, but when you actually get something accomplished by hard work and learn in the process, it is that much more rewarding. I know I sound like a frickin salesman, but I like diving into a challenge and DFI has what I like!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurican,

That makes you the perfect DFI customer. It's kind of like running a t-bred racehorse or building a hot rod, you learn by trial and error, everyone else's experiences and when ur done you have an awesome final product. I couldn't be happier with my DFI main rig.

And that's why I love my OCZ 520 Powerstream. Nary a hiccup. Even after I threw the X1900XT beast in there. But I'm sure I'm pushing it. Think I may bounce over to ZZF right now and pick me up one of those new Fortron 700W beasts. I'm just not convinced 4 split rails is the way to go on a non-SLi rig.

the OCZ 700w GX is a freaking MONSTER lol

it is well worth the money if you need a psu and money is there for it

if money is no object, I would say try a PCP&C also

Hurican,

That makes you the perfect DFI customer. It's kind of like running a t-bred racehorse or building a hot rod, you learn by trial and error, everyone else's experiences and when ur done you have an awesome final product. I couldn't be happier with my DFI main rig.

ask wevvspot about he and I crossing ugly swords when he first arrived (typical DFI noob lol)

notice now he's my bro and has the best geek avatar in the forum

DFI and DFI-Street will make you evolve from your monkey-neanderthal roots into a big-brained alien freakazoid overclocker spaz

Hurican,

As usual AG speaks the truth. I was a real *ick head when I first joined the Street. I didn't really understand the culture of this forum, nor did I understand AG's gentle :) ways. I've been a forum member for about eight months now, and it's a place I visit daily (almost like a second home)

I've never met AG in person, but we've communicated quite a bit here at the Street and I have developed a great appreciation for Travis and all he's done (and continues to do) for

DFI end users.

He really is a pretty cool kat.

And especially for AG . . . .

I'm sorry for having been such a *ick head in the beginning. Ah, I feel better now.

My DFI build was that of the plug and play experience, quite wonderful, and better then the ASUS build with the same proc just months earlier (switched from ASUS agp board to DFI pci-e). Its nice now b/c I don't get random crashes, etc, I have a stable computer that runs rock while solid gaming, 3-D modelling, number crunching my research ., video editing and encoding, and anything else I throw at it.

But I always have the option to screw things up trying to push my OC farther if I want to tinker for a few days, and with the great DFI BIOS when I screw things up I can just reload the one I know works.

this has been by first DFI build, and it was a bit of an "adventure." i do want to say "thank you" for the build guide, as i helped alot. in the grand scheme of things my problem was minor and was taken care of quicky by this community.

i liken owning a DFI, to owning a Forumal One car. the proformance is incredible, but you have to know what you are doing to get that extreme proformance out of the machine.

i am looking forward to pushing the limit of my DFI ... will be finishing up the water cooling this weekend ... and then the adventure will really begin.

you guys are great here ...

• 2 weeks later...
And that's why I love my OCZ 520 Powerstream. Nary a hiccup.

I feel the same way.

I am still running everything at stock. The only problem I have had with my first ever build was---getting sound with the "karajan". Now, I have sound and all is well and good.

Thanks to "dab" and his persistance!!

I upgrade for 2 reasons:

1. I like to have a faster system.

2. I really really like the learning experience of an uphill struggle, tweaking, tinkering and squeezing every ounce of power from the kit I bought.

I must say DFI was not plug-n-play but I have had alot worse, and I managed 2.6Ghz 'out of the box' on my opty - my aim so was grinning like a cheshire cat within 2 hours of having everything in my clutches.

It was communities like DFI-Street that helped me build my understanding and begin to push for that last few-Mhz (and then some). I can't say my DFI overclocking experience is over, only that it has just begun...

Matt

I feel I may have missed out on an experience here!!!

I've owned a lot of boards over the years, from PC-Chips, EPoX, Asus, ASRock and a few others.

The DFI was the easiest board to build around, in both terms of physical layout and compatibility.

I bought the DFI because I saw one in PC World, and I was sick and tired of the glitchy ASRock Dual SATA-2, and remembered reading a review of a DFI board that concluded it was very well featured, but overpriced because it came with a box full of tat! Sounded good to me!!!

Never looked back since then.

Im also one of the lucky ones. My expert board was rock solid from day 1. This forum is a great source of information and I wish I had found it prior to buying the expert(my first DFI). I would have chosen a different PSU and would have bought a 2GB kit instead of the 1GB. I guess thats what overtime is for...gonna start changing out piece by piece. You guys have been a big help and alot of fun. Hope to be here for a long time to come. :D