The [not so] Unique DFI Experience.

In my mind plug n play infers that you can grab just about any power supply, cpu and memory and throw together a rig in about 1.5 hours (OS install included). Now, for the most part we all understand that seldom is that approach successful when building a system based on a DFI NF4 board.

Careful research of recommended power supplies, compatible memory and correct BIOS settings and memory timings are crucial to a successful first time build. Of course that applies to about any motherboard, but especially so on the DFI NF4 boards.

DFI designs and manufacture's enthusiast class motherboards, intended to be coupled with high quality components.

My first DFI build was also essentially trouble free, but I spent alot of time here and in various other forums "learning the ropes" so to speak. And in that time I learned alot of things that I was able to apply when I built my first DFI based rig.

For every one user that does extensive research, buys quality components,

follows the build guide and other tutorials here at the Street, there are probably four others that attempt the "plug n play" approach and end up frustrated and disappointed.

Great post. That's just how it worked for me. I spent a couple of weeks researching for known good quality components for my Sli-Dr last June, and because of that it's been pretty much plug n play on the SLI-Dr, Expert and Venus.

Even my Corsair PC3200 sticks, that I found out, after the fact, were anathema to the SLI-DR, worked just fine, after I adjusted the timing and voltage to what Corsair reccommended. It worked fine, but wouldn't overclock worth a ..

I think things are moving so fast now, and all the psu issues and power requirements are making it a little tougher to follow the absolute reccommended lists.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to dissagree. When I put my computer together, I had no problems what so ever. I litterly plugged and played with ALL the components on the board first time. The only problem I did have was when I installed windows and then installed the motherboard drivers whithout installing DirectX first which gave me a few headaches trying to figure that one out but a quick read of the manual solved that problem pritty fast. ;)

I gotta say I feel sorry for all the people that have major problems with their setups in the forum when I had little problems with mine. I read instructions, follow guides and I dont have problems. I have had alot of problems in the past when building computers but they were never hardware related, they were always user related on my part. :rolleyes:

It may work on default settings with a little research, time, and care put into it. DFI is not a board that is meant for plug & play if you want to get its full potential, that I know for sure. Many will toss it in, load setup defaults and go. Chances are it will work fine, but unbeknownst to them they are running with substandard settings.

My problems "and rant" came with a bad chipset, bad PSU, uncooperative retailer, and non-functioning sound module... all of which contributed to the problems I had. The thing about "user related", of course one can never be sure about that. I read instructions, post for assistance, contact DFI, all the normal stuff that really needs to be done for a build like this.

Did I mangle something? I don't know, but I sure worked hard as hell not to. I have rebuilt junk and performance systems for the last 10 years as an interest, not a job... and DFI was still a challenge. So I would have to agree more with wevsspot's comments.

Great post Hurican,

I have been building PC for ten years. I mostly use Asus boards becuase they are pretty much plug and play. This is my first DFI board. It is not a cheap board but I expected more quality for the price I paid, of course. My sound module works but alota pops and my chipset cooler died after 2 days. I'd never get straight-though cold boot so far. When I do cold boot, the system hangs at a last light (detecting VGA). Shut-down push VGA card or shut-down or reset a couple of times to start the POST.

Much better user support system than Asus though.

This weekend, I am going to change my chipset cooler per Angry_grames video. I will take the sound module out while I do that. I was not sure whether I should keep the sound module but your post gave me a clue. Thanks

ESPM1000,

I doubt that you're retarded, but it's not polite to jack someone elses thread (just a little reminder about forum courtesy). Always start your own thread when you have a problem or question. However, since you're already in here, i'd recommend the following.

Visit the Bios Factory Thread and download - then burn a CD of TMods' BIOS flash CD and utilities.

It has every BIOS on it that you could possibly need or want, and it's a very simple affair to upgrade your BIOS. I'm sure if you can follow the instructions to create the bootable BIOS CD, then you'll have enough smarts to flash your BIOS.

Best of luck. And remember, if for some reason something goes wrong you can always contact BIOMEDIC for a preflashed chip, to have your current chip flashed or even buy a replacement.

Best of luck.

p.s. I appreciate the forum members who understand the point I was trying to get across about plug n pray :)

My first DFI board was a heartbreaker. I was pretty upset about the whole ordeal, and spent a few days trying to make it work through reseating components and clearing cmos. It never got to POST, and I was a very sorely defeated geek.

Happily, I received the RMA replacement in 2 weeks, which was a "Plug and Play" experience. :D

Sorry wevsspot, I usually have better manners, but lack of sleep has caused me to not think twice, which I usually do. Sorry at the hijacking. I hope everything continues to go good with your board. :)

lol

I can tell you

as the most experienced DFI dude here...

DFI Lanparty boards are definitely not plug-n-play

a lot of you might get plug-n-play and no problems, and thats a heck of a good thing cuz I'd have to start killing people and hiding bodies to bring the number of support tickets down

but

most of the time...as you all well know, DFI boards in the Lanparty line are NOT plug-n-play, more of a

plug-n-pray-then-get-really-pissed-and-come-to-the-forums-threatening-lawsuits-and-calling-Angry_Games-a-jerk-for-telling-me-to-READ-THE-DAMN-RULES experience....

thats why I started this forum...there's no way DFI's official tech support would even come close to having an understanding of what the boards they are building are really all about nor could they possibly fathom exactly what type of users were buying these boards

Corp monkeys just don't get it...yet tweaker monkies like us get it...and get it often...and often have to take it right up the rear lol

I asked around the forums and made a pest of myself PM'ing A.G. over which psu to use...then went and got the one in my sig after all that trouble I made taking up his weekend time!

My system booted up just fine from the start and am testing @ 2.86Ghz right now with all stock voltages and the bios that came installed.

If I would have done anything different it would have been to buy the smaller,yet faster, 2 x 512 sticks of G.Skill DDR600 as what I have only works 100% at 260Mhz.

From now on I will only build for people useing DFI boards.

Z

I'm trying to beg for a PCP&C 510w psu myself so I can actually tell people I have one and they are as great as I always tell them they are lol

we've found that with the proper psu on our NF4 boards...most problems simply go away or don't appear...

And that's why I love my OCZ 520 Powerstream. Nary a hiccup. Even after I threw the X1900XT beast in there. But I'm sure I'm pushing it. Think I may bounce over to ZZF right now and pick me up one of those new Fortron 700W beasts. I'm just not convinced 4 split rails is the way to go on a non-SLi rig.