System Turning On by itself.

All,

I just upgraded from a A64 3200+ chip and now, I seem to have the problem of the PC turning on after you have used the soft-off option. If you press and hold the power button for 5 sec it will stay off, but windows shut down will not.

I will add that when I had the 3200+ in the system it I never saw this problem, system has run fine for 6 months.

I have searched the forums and tried seting the JP7 to 2-3 (On) still not working. I have reloaded the bios settings to optimized. I have reseted the power cables to the MB. I have wiped my HDD and done a clean install of XP with SP2 and all dual core patches.

I will try clearing the CMOS with the jumper next, if anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it. I would even consider flashing the BIOS again if it would help.

Does the problem persist if you unhook the network cable? I had this problem and I think its attached to a wake-on-lan bug. It still did it even though WOL was turned off but my problem went away as soon as I unhooked it.

Ok, I unpluged the network cable and it seemed to fix my issue. I then went in to the drive properties for the NIC and under the Advanced Tab, I went to "Wake Up Capabilities" and it was defaulted to "Magic Packet and Pattern Match". I set this to None.

System was off for about 15 min and no ghostly power on yet. What I think is really strange about this is, the only change I made was sawping from a Single Core to Dual Core. That made this strange problem show up.

Good info, I was experiencing this last night so I flipped the switch on the PSU to off for fear that it would turn on and blow up while I was at work :D

I have my ethernet on the onboard thing too, I'll try that Magic Packet and Pattern Match to off!

I was poking around more, and found that the driver on my CD was 7.21.3, the most recent was on the DFI website is 7.29 for my board.

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Driver/Marvell_LAN_729.zip

I downloaded it and updated my drivers and a new feature poped up "Wake from Shutdown" it's defaulted to Off. Using those drivers and leaving the default on of Magic Packet and Pattern the system is shutting down with out any problems.

Also to add to this, I found that only one of the ethernet ports causes this to happen on my system. The one closest to the x16 ports does not cause this problem whereas the one above it does. Anyone else able to confirm this?

Occasionally that will happen to me. Not every time. I will turn off the computer and it will turn on immediately which is weird. I do as the DFI manual says and always have waited approximately 15 seconds before turning back on the pc, but sometimes it doesnt wait it actually does turn on as if it is a restart not a power off.