Ultra-D and Antec P180 cooling modifications

Guest LithoTech

Osen,

Re: the heatsink up by the 4.0V jumper

I put the thermal sensor back pinched inbetween a cap and that heatsink. I was in there flipping the jumper back to 3v (just for a day or so).

I was looking at it and it struck me as I remembered posting in another thread about that zalman you have on your chipset, that thing just might fit the bill for this as well!

I did a dry fit, tried a couple positions, looked for the easiest mount. Looks like the best solution would be to cut it down a bit, it is a little too big, but would fit if one insisted.

Took a picture, it isn't mounted correct here, I didn't notice at the time, but you get a good idea of size and position:

z1s7ld.jpg

z2s6bu.jpg

Looks like I need another one of these, as this one is spoken for. Well, half of one maybe. :D

Anyone wanna buy half of a Zalman NB47J? ;)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow AC X1 i have never seen it or even heard of it, looks bad-butt!

I can't say it looks better than the BFG one did, but it cools a hell of a lot better.

BEFORE:

PC%20Close%20Up.jpg

AFTER:

Accelero%20X1%20II.JPG

I dropped from 62 C to 52 C idle... and 88 C to 64 C under load.

My NF3 chipset went up about 3 C under all conditions, due to the design of the cooler. (It blows the hot air out towards the MB, not out the back or to the side.) I'll mount that 80mm fan back in place and see if that helps.

EDIT: I installed the 80 mm fan (that is in my BEFORE picture) and temps dropped again. Now I'm running 32 C idle on my chipset. Sweeeet!

Mark

Guest LithoTech

Man I love the look of the TT BT!

Awesome results! That is huge temp savings, way more than one would expect.

I'm a little bummed to see it blows right on the chipset. I was still dreaming of getting one of those, and that is a notch against it.

Still, only 3c increase shows it is passing enough air through that the air isn't super heated, and probably helps cool other parts of the mobo that don't have the benefit of the VC-RE on it.

And the overall performance is outstanding. Completely silent I hear too, no pun intended. :P

http://img350.imageshack.us/my.php?...wchamber3nt.jpg

i was able to get a 120mm fan in front of my lower hdd bay without having to take out that entire bracket that the bay screws into.. as long as it doesnt vibrate much u must be real happy. that fan lowered my hdd temp over 5C.

That comment brings back memories of me spending almost an hour trying to squeeze or angle in a 120mm fan in past that assembly. I gave up. How did you manage it?

I'd love to know too. I've had no luck trying to fit a normal 25mm thickness fan in that area. Right now I have a Zalman 80x15mm rigged up there. But I'd much rather use a 120mm fan for greater airflow at lower noise levels.

I'm a little bummed to see it blows right on the chipset. I was still dreaming of getting one of those, and that is a notch against it.

i saw that exact thing. that looks a little bad you think about it. the front 120mm case fan blows air in, the GPU gets it and heats it up, sending it off to the chipset, which heats it up more, then when it blows in all directions out of the chipset, it goes right back into the GPU..like a big swirl in there. do you notice a steady rise in your idle temp from the time you turn it on to say, half an hour later?

Okay guys... in the spirit of 'testing' I made a few changes to my rig. I moved my 80mm fan to sit right beside my CPU fan. (On the right side, blowing down on my PWMIC.) I left the GPU cooler blowing like normal, but I did something weird to see what difference it would make:

I swapped my 120mm TT intake fan (A2018) with the stock TT fan on the CPU cooler.

Now, I have to say that my temperatures are going to go up because the stock TT CPU cooler only runs at about 1300 rpm... which means I am cutting down on fresh intake air. I jacked my exhaust fan up to max (2500 rpm) to try and draw out the air... and I took some interesting readings.

While playing BF2 for HOURS on end, my internal temps became somewhat stable. The CPU, PWMIC, and NF3 chipset all sat at around 41-42 C or so. The case was warm to the touch, and the exhaust fan was pushing out some seriously warm air. The GPU became stable somewhere in the high 60's and hit low 70's at times... but I never had a problem with over-heating.

I am ordering a couple of 120mm fans that have a higher CFM to increase airflow... but at this point I am somewhat surprised at the results. Obviously, I need another 120mm intake fan to keep up with the exhaust on my case and the fan in my PSU. I am thinking of mounting it on the 'floor' of the case, blowing directly into the GPU and chipset cooler. Thoughts?

Mark

If you need more fresh intake, and have room you can also try bolting 2 120mm fans together at your existing intake. It might save you having to cut holes in the floor of your case, yet increase intake air, and really as long as the air is moving into the case and accross the GPU you should still get really good results and lower noise.

I did this on an antek case that had only a single 80mm intake and what a difference. :nod: I can't see why it wouldn't work on 120s if you have the room.

Guest LithoTech
Okay guys... in the spirit of 'testing' I made a few changes to my rig. I moved my 80mm fan to sit right beside my CPU fan. (On the right side, blowing down on my PWMIC.) I left the GPU cooler blowing like normal, but I did something weird to see what difference it would make:

I swapped my 120mm TT intake fan (A2018) with the stock TT fan on the CPU cooler.

Now, I have to say that my temperatures are going to go up because the stock TT CPU cooler only runs at about 1300 rpm... which means I am cutting down on fresh intake air. I jacked my exhaust fan up to max (2500 rpm) to try and draw out the air... and I took some interesting readings.

While playing BF2 for HOURS on end, my internal temps became somewhat stable. The CPU, PWMIC, and NF3 chipset all sat at around 41-42 C or so. The case was warm to the touch, and the exhaust fan was pushing out some seriously warm air. The GPU became stable somewhere in the high 60's and hit low 70's at times... but I never had a problem with over-heating.

I am ordering a couple of 120mm fans that have a higher CFM to increase airflow... but at this point I am somewhat surprised at the results. Obviously, I need another 120mm intake fan to keep up with the exhaust on my case and the fan in my PSU. I am thinking of mounting it on the 'floor' of the case, blowing directly into the GPU and chipset cooler. Thoughts?

Mark

Am I correct in assuming you made the change to put the more powerful fan on the cpu?

Odd that a 120mm is not enough intake and temps raised, most cases have a single 80mm.

Double check that you mounted it the correct way. Failing that, check for blockage or anything interfering with the airflow or movement of the fan? You should be getting tons of air in there, even at 1300 rpm. Of course, change the fan with a 70CFM Antec Tri-Cool and that should help.

Zalman's FB123 fan and bracket will mount a 120mm fan right on top of your GPU and chipset area, although it won't benefit as intake unless you have a side vent (me looks around for a dremel).

If you have enough empty 5.25 drive bays up top, a 120mm fan can be easily rigged in there and draws huge air into the case.

That GPU was hitting some high temps with that new cooler, had it been using the old one it would have been in the 90s, eh?

Am I correct in assuming you made the change to put the more powerful fan on the cpu?

Odd that a 120mm is not enough intake and temps raised, most cases have a single 80mm.

Double check that you mounted it the correct way. Failing that, check for blockage or anything interfering with the airflow or movement of the fan? You should be getting tons of air in there, even at 1300 rpm. Of course, change the fan with a 70CFM Antec Tri-Cool and that should help.

Zalman's FB123 fan and bracket will mount a 120mm fan right on top of your GPU and chipset area, although it won't benefit as intake unless you have a side vent (me looks around for a dremel).

If you have enough empty 5.25 drive bays up top, a 120mm fan can be easily rigged in there and draws huge air into the case.

That GPU was hitting some high temps with that new cooler, had it been using the old one it would have been in the 90s, eh?

You are correct. I swapped out my more powerful case fan with my CPU fan. I got more effective cooling on my CPU, but my case is now lacking a fresh supply of air so it now becomes stable at whatever the case fans can handle.

Basically, I need to order another TT fan for the front of the case to increase my air flow, and perhaps add another fan in the lower part of the case to direct cool air over my GPU / NF3 chipset. (Dead spot in that area due to ineffective design.) Maybe I'll add an exhaust below the graphics card...

Decisions.... decisions....

Mark

Guest LithoTech
You are correct. I swapped out my more powerful case fan with my CPU fan. I got more effective cooling on my CPU, but my case is now lacking a fresh supply of air so it now becomes stable at whatever the case fans can handle.

Basically, I need to order another TT fan for the front of the case to increase my air flow, and perhaps add another fan in the lower part of the case to direct cool air over my GPU / NF3 chipset. (Dead spot in that area due to ineffective design.) Maybe I'll add an exhaust below the graphics card...

Decisions.... decisions....

Mark

The intake is easily resolved temporarily by taking the side panel off. More exhaust always helps the intake draw in, blowholes are easy mods.

Sounds like the trusty Zalman FB123 bracket would work for you, put a 120mm right over your vid and chipset. Would have room for another too.

A PCI slot exhaust you mean? Hmmm, never seen one in action, but if they are quiet and move air then t'is enough. :D