Sign in to follow this  
ciberfog

Best cpu for less than 350 dollars?

easy question (i think) for u guys

wich is the best CPU for less than 350 dollars or something like that

a opty or a x2 3800 ?

and the reasons

thankss!

depends how much of a gambler you are ;)

Most here prefer the Opteron 165 to the x2 3800+.

The opti has a larger cache and is said to have a better memory controller.

The x2 comes 200MHz faster.

Overclock is down to your luck. some have reported wonderful overclock with the opti, some get only average ones. The x2 3800+ are supposed to overclock poorly, but i hit 2500MHz easily.

So, down to your preferences and how lucky you feel.

For me, the deal i got on the 3800+ was better than what i could get on the opti.

Guest shaolin95

For me the opty 165 (wanna buy mine? :-) ). Getting almost a full 1GHZ overclock for free is simply amazing no matter how you look at it.

Check the For sale or trade threads, there are several Opty 165's floating around there...you may be able to put a few more dollars toward your MB... :nod:

opty all the way!!! can get most of them running near or beyond fx60 speeds...wait for monarch coupons and you can steal one for $275 shipped...fx60 speeds + $700 more in your pockets...thats what i call a bargain

Guest finz

Opteron is definitely the way to go...

For gaming alone? An A64 4000+. Games still do not take advantage of dual core CPUs, but in the future you bet they will. As it stands now, raw clock speeds are still most desirable. If I had to do it again I would go the lowest end dual-core Opteron or X2 just because I can't simply buy multiple processors and both of these examples tend to clock well.

Guest shaolin95

I will always take the 165 since it normaly OCes better and has the 1mb cache.

For gaming alone? An A64 4000+. Games still do not take advantage of dual core CPUs, but in the future you bet they will. As it stands now, raw clock speeds are still most desirable. If I had to do it again I would go the lowest end dual-core Opteron or X2 just because I can't simply buy multiple processors and both of these examples tend to clock well.

Wow, my 3500+ is actually OCed higher than the 4000+. It's got 2.6 ghz while mine has 2.64 ghz. I also have my RAM set 1:1 with my CPU. :)

165 hands down. Hell, Oblivion is multi-threaded which would be enough for me to get dual core anyways...but getting a single core for the same price that might not clock as well is just dumb.

Sign in to follow this