Sign in to follow this  
Branjo

Question

Anyone know of an app than can move installation folders to new drive or location? I want to rearrange my file system but dont want to reinstall everything again.

surly copy and paste will work?

some shortcuts maynot work but you can do them manually buy [change target location]

For small stuff yeah that would be no problem, but for large installations like Games n such it wont. I wondered if there was something that would change the location and sync it with the C drive and/or windows folder so that all files point to the required location without having to manually change them all. lol im lazy and dont want to install all my games again

that is exactly the kind of program im looking for but it doesnt work with SP2 :(

but thanks bro

Guest nibs

I don't know of an app that can do it, but it sounds like what you'd want is something that would give you something akin to symbolic links under Linux. I did a quick google for Windows XP symbolic link and came up with quite a few results. I don't currently have the time to read through them, but it seems possible that you can create a special file/ directory to point at the new directory where you move things to and everything will work fine it is set up correctly. It does seem like a bit of a hassle to do it what way. Good luck.

right on both counts nibs, Windows XP symbolic link is what i was looking for and secondly it does look like a major pain to do, I think ill just give up on that and reinstall the various software again to the new path. I just had no clue what the process would be called inorder to google it. Thanks dude for clearing that up for me

Branjo,

Sorry, I didn't notice that it would not work with SP2.

There is another program you can try although it is not free. It is jv16 powertools. One of the tools lets you do a registry search and replace. I havn't tried this before so I can't tell you how well it would work. It is an excellent set of utilities though.

br1229